Alpha 1 Gen 1- Click, Click, clunk

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Got 1987 3.0 140, with A1 gen 1 drive... owned the boat for 3 years, always winterized properly since Ive owned it anyway, noticed last time out upon waiting to load up sitting waiting my turn to get to dock... click, click,, intermittently, while in neutral, toss it in gear front and back seemed ok.. today fired it up on the muffs at home,,, in neutral,, click, click,, louder grinding clunks,, shut her off, drained outdrive oil, some water intrusion was evident,, noted a bunch of shavings gobbed on the top magnetic vent crew, oil was green/gray, lots of shavings clearly discoloring the oil...its the original drive, 29 years old,, I put it in forward, and pulled the drive off... am I looking at a new drive????

thumpar

Admiral
The clicking could be the clutch dogs rubbing from a shift cable out of adjustment. Have you popped the top cap and looked at the gears?

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
No Title

Ok, popped cap, found bearing tore up. Main gears look ok, rotate freely..can I replace that bearing?, button it up and be good to go?

Attachments

• photo248845.jpg
    photo248845.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 0
  • photo248846.jpg
    photo248846.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 0

Pete104

Lieutenant
You won't get out that easy. Draining the oil brings all the junk past other bearings & it don't go away. You could try tearing it down & cleaning but it won't last.
Bye the way, the upper gears are junk!

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
$800 more? Pass...I flushed the lower unit 3x w cheap thin oil..only producing dust consistent with normal wear in the pan, we shall see if dust particles will damage the lower unit, if so I will buy one.... $686 experiment... thanks for replies as always..

Last edited: