Cross-threaded shift cable

astronutski

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1986 Alpha One Gen 1 #0A594520

Well, I feel horrible. While reinstalling the shift cable in the bell housing I ended up cross threading a few of the beginning threads. I stopped immediately and made two more slow careful attempts but was cross threaded each time. The threads on the cable look perfect, it's just the threads in the bell housing that are botched. I have a tap set so that's no problem, but there are two things that scare me at this point.

#1) For much better access can I retap that hole from behind or is that hole tapered to set up the nut to stop with two or three threads showing as indicated everywhere for proper shifting?

#b) I am thoroughly disgusted and not looking forward to restuffing that cable sheathing through the small end of the shift cable bellows. Anyone have any tips to keep my frail sanity in check? I did it once already so I know it can be done, but I'll admit, that was the most difficult part of this whole rebuild so far and I'm not looking forward to it at all. I'd rather pull and replace the gimbal bearing again.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
You need the correct tap, IT IS NOT 1/4 INCH PIPE it is a straight tap. You start from the inside (front of the housing )and run the tap thru(aft side)
The manual states that you should have NO MORE than 2 threads visable.
UntitledMS2_zpszxjslqrh.jpg

Last edited:

astronutski

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Excellent, thank you both for the great info. That tap is turning out to be the elusive unicorn locally, just like everything else, Time to buy more Amazon stock!

Doc, I understand it's a straight not tapered thread, but why won't the tapered tap work? It's the same size and thread count isn't it?
I'm not doubting or arguing, I'm just curious what's so special about the straight tap.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I recently bought that tap from Fastenal, for 'bout $44.00......

astronutski

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well lucky me I found someone who's gonna chase the threads for me tomorrow!
But I was prepared to spend the $20 at amazon for a knockoff.