rebuilt carb install question

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
89 sea ray with 3.0 mercruiser. Just got the carb today. will be installing it tomorrow. Do I need any special sealants for the base or the fittings?

boatman37

Lieutenant
no sealants on the gaskets. same for the fittings. should be a flared fuel fitting. no sealant necessary but a little dab of liquid sealer wouldn't hurt as long as it doesn't get inside the line

NHGuy

Captain
Agreed, and the base gasket must be complete and flat. Preferably new.

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks,
I installed the carb last night. It was too late to fire it up. I will try it this morning.

Anything I should do before I try to start it? I double checked all the connections and fittings, all looks good.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Put the muffs on, turn the water on and try and start it, good luck

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Started her up, ran a little rough at first, about 30 seconds, and then she idled awesome. It wouldn't idle with the old carb.

I set the timing a while ago with the old carburetor on. I shouldn't have to do it again should I?

I will be testing her on the water during the next 2 weeks. Looking forward to it!!!!

boatman37

Lieutenant
if the timing was set accurately before then no need to check it again unless the distributor has been moved. good luck

NHGuy

Captain
If you don't have a sheet detailing how to adjust your choke, idle mixture and speed let us know.
Those are different for each engine, though a well build carb may be right on the settings or darn close.

Last edited: