Warning Buzzer Problem 1994 Baja 272 .. 454 Mercruiser

johnrmclean

Petty Officer 3rd Class
[h=2]Warning Buzzer Problem 1994 Baja 272 .. 454 Mercruiser[/h]
Down to my last issue hopefully. Not totally new. Got everything running fine. Engine runs cool. Temp gauge works ..holding under 100 degrees using muffs, exhaust manifolds just warm . No smoke or oil burning. Oil pressure gauge reading good.....
BUT..at start the warning buzzer goes on and will not go off. Ran for 10 minutes and did not go off. Then after I shut down the engine and started it back up after a minute or so buzzer did not go back on. Anyone know whats up with that??
Manual says the buzzer is for three things .. H2o in cooling system too hot..not buzzed from start up .. engine oil pressure too low.. good pressure ..running about 40 psi after start up... trans fluid too hot ... no trans so not an issue ..​

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... There's an alarm switch for the water temp in the t-stat housin', disconnect it,....

There's a switch for the low O/P alarm next to the distributor, or down low portside of the block, disconnect it,.....

There's a alarm switch in the drive lube bottle, disconnect it,....

One of the 3 is yer problem, the switch is goin' to ground, soundin' the alarm,.....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
john, do you have a schematic diagram for your setup? If so then you can look and see where all the sensors are located for all the possible triggers for that buzzer. Then remove each one at a time and verify it is either open or closed or reading the correct resistance. Other then that, I'd have to be there and take my own readings and troubleshoot it myself. JMHO!

johnrmclean

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sorry ..for some reason i was not getting your responses. Unfortunatly my electrical drawings do not show the buzzer but if the problem reoccurs I will try to locate and eliminate each one as described. Meantime of course the buzzer has actually stopped buzzing!! Thanks all for your suggestions.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
We need far more information on this engine. What has been done to it to get it working after it's 3 year layup? And What IS the engne? All we know so far is that it's a 454. Is it carbed, EFI, MPI? Post an engine serial number so we all know what it is.

alldodge

Staff member
Being a 94 you should have power going to your buzzer and the other three items are grounded to turn it on. The lube bottle is the one which can hang or just go bad. It is does it again, just disconnect the wires coming off the bottom of it

johnrmclean

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Being a 94 you should have power going to your buzzer and the other three items are grounded to turn it on. The lube bottle is the one which can hang or just go bad. It is does it again, just disconnect the wires coming off the bottom of it

Thanks I will do that!!

johnrmclean

Petty Officer 3rd Class
We need far more information on this engine. What has been done to it to get it working after it's 3 year layup? And What IS the engne? All we know so far is that it's a 454. Is it carbed, EFI, MPI? Post an engine serial number so we all know what it is.

If the problem reoccurs and I need more advice I will post as much as I can.

achris

From another thread, engine serial number 0F305171, a 1995, 454 Magnum, carbed with Thunderbolt V and Bravo drive.

Chris........

johnrmclean

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have that written down in my logs but I'm not sure where that serial number came from so using it as the closest thing I have. There was no serial number on the engine purchase documents. I searched the block today and could not find a serial number or tag where its supposed to be but did find the block number ...10237297 but not sure what that tells me yet . if anything yet.

johnrmclean

Petty Officer 3rd Class
BTW ..the original engine was a 1994 but was replaced so I just stuck in 1995 but it was actually replaced in 2002 with a rebuild that was suposedly originally a factory test engine.

alldodge

Staff member
That block casting number is for
10237297...454.......96-up...4-bolt, Vortec 7400", "L-29" Gen.VI

johnrmclean

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks ,,good to know,, now if I can only narrow down to a model or at least a serial number sequence.

achris

Thanks ,,good to know,, now if I can only narrow down to a model or at least a serial number sequence.

Look at post #13 in this thread. I have given you all the details pertaining to that serial number.