MCM 120 Mercarb Question

BillysBoat1986

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone! I just got a rebuild kit for my 2.5, 120 hp, carburetor PN: 13898490. It has a lot of gaskets, but I have an old rotted out gasket that's at least 1/4 inch thick that mates the carb to the engine. Does anyone know the PN to that gasket or where I can find it in the manual? I need a new one.Thanks a bunch!

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's not a gasket but an insulator to keep the heat from the manifold away from the carb. There should be a gasket glued to each side of it; if not you can carefully scrap the old gaskets off and use the 2 that should be supplied in the kit. The better kits usually have this insulator. If it's in bad shape you could take it to a car dealer ship and match it up to a car one.

Last edited:

BillysBoat1986

Seaman Apprentice
A dealership would have a part from an engine that was never used on any car and made in the mid eighties? Sounds like a long shot.

thumpar

Admiral
A dealership would have a part from an engine that was never used on any car and made in the mid eighties? Sounds like a long shot.
The 120 2.5l was used in a car. It was the mid 60's Nova. The 3.0l was never used in a car.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
You mention having a Mercarb. These engines either came with a Mercarb or a Rochester - they are very similar. BUT, if memory serves, (and it may not!), the bases are slightly different and not interchangeable.

BillysBoat1986

Seaman Apprentice
I have looked everywhere for this insulator and can't find a new one. I'm going to make one. Does anyone have any ideas what I can use for stock? It has to withstand high temps.
Thanks a bunch!

BillysBoat1986

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Fishermark! I have a Mercarb. I spent a lot of time rebuilding it. I used the Mercruiser manual and you tube. I'm debating on using 8802 b 1/2 sealing compound on the old insulator. It is used on aircraft extensively and is heat resistant. Only problem is it dries hard as a rock and is hard to remove. I have no doubts though this stuff will seal the carb to the manifold without any leaks. Any thoughts?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
I personally would not use a sealer between the carb and the manifold.

NHGuy

Captain
Either order the exact gaskets or make some.
To make them.
Get some gasket material sheets at the auto parts store. Then you'll need to experiment a little. I'd use some padded clamps to hold the gasket between the spacer and a piece of wood. Not too tight though, don't want to distort or break the spacer.
Once clamped, cut the gasket with a razor knife. Or mark it and then cut it afterward.

BillysBoat1986

Seaman Apprentice
I want ahead and just used the gasket that came with the rebuild kit and removed the 1/4" spacer. When I installed the carb I had to add extra washers to the mount nuts so that the carb would have a good seal to the engine. Ran it up this weekend on the river for several hours and everything is working nicely. It was a really hot 90 degree plus weekend too. Thanks everyone for your help.