Who makes quality ignition points?

spoolin01

Seaman
Replaced the points in my L6 250 Merc 165 last summer. One of the first trips this year, after 100 hours or so since the tune-up, the motor suddenly died while trolling, and I discovered the point gap was gone. Considering how well it seemed to be running in the hours prior, maybe the plate just slipped, but it didn't seem that way when I put the screwdriver to it.

Limped home with a barely adequate guessed gap as the only gauge I had was well over the size, changed to new points, and was careful to lube the cam and follower. Resolved to carry dwell meter and timing light from now on...

In looking at the new points, I was reminded how flimsy they always seem, and how after a bit of wear the faces always seem to be 50% mis-aligned or worse. I tend to be agnostic as to brand and frankly haven't paid attention.

Are there brands that are better made and more reliable? I'd like to do this right one more time.

Bondo

Staff member
Replaced the points in my L6 250 Merc 165 last summer. One of the first trips this year, after 100 hours or so since the tune-up, the motor suddenly died while trolling, and I discovered the point gap was gone.

Ayuh,..... Points, have always been considered a replace 'em once a year, every year kinda maintenance thing,....

Even back when every car on the road had points, they've been a once a year, every year kinda maintenance thing,.....

Which is why electronic ignition was such an easy sell,....

For future reference, a matchbook cover is darn close to the .016" points are usually set at,.....
'course, book matches are rarer than points now-a-days too,....

ziggy

Admiral
i been using serria points.
i do replace them once a year, beginning of the season.

fwiw. it probably wouldn't matter, but i would rather use mercruiser points. however. 2 years ago i got some mercruiser points and the rubbing block was to tall. the points would never close. neither me or my dealer understands what's up. hence i been using the serria w/o incident. and i get what yer saying about misaligned points too. the mercuser ones were that way to. but not the serria. so i suggest serria at this point..........

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you didn't lube the crankshaft lobe (lightly of course), you could have shaved down the rubbing block on the points. It wouldn't be the first time that has happened. JMHO!

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
For future reference, a matchbook cover is darn close to the .016" points are usually set at,.....
'course, book matches are rarer than points now-a-days too,....

That's great bondo, but when is the last time you saw anyone actually carry a book of matches LOL!

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
It's funny - I was going to mention the same thing about the match book being a good substitute for feeler gauges. I guess anyone old enough to have worked on cars with points is getting old enough to "show our age." ;)

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
used points for first two years, replaced them yearly,, had to,, up in the north east here she sits for 6 months minimum.. they corrode easily, tried sanding em,, that was a waste of time... Sierra points do fine, they are cheap,,

. As bondo said, electronic ignition change over very popular, I just did it... glad I did.. no more screwing around with points for me

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you are adjusting points on the water as a last ditch effort to get the engine running again to get back to the dock, most anything would do. However, if you are adjusting points at home or in the shop, surely would have a feeler gauge...I hope anyways. JMHO!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
However, if you are adjusting points at home or in the shop, surely would have a feeler gauge...I hope anyways. JMHO!
Use a dwell meter...ALWAYS!

I always kept my dwell meter and timing light in my boat too.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Back when I used points, if I had a mallory distributor, I found mallory points. When I had a prestolite distributor, I bought prestolite points.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Use a dwell meter...ALWAYS!

I always kept my dwell meter and timing light in my boat too.

bruceb58, I know what a dwell meter is and also how to use one. But in todays technology, I am betting not too many younger boaters have ever even seen a dwell meter. And equally interesting, I'd even bet not too many young boater even know what dwell is. JMHO

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
bruceb58, I know what a dwell meter is and also how to use one. But in todays technology, I am betting not too many younger boaters have ever even seen a dwell meter. And equally interesting, I'd even bet not too many young boater even know what dwell is. JMHO
Not many younger boaters have probably seen points either but that doesn't mean they can't learn the proper way of setting points and learn what dwell means if they have a points ignition on their engine. The OP obviously knows how a dwell meter works.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I bought me a new timin' light a year or 2 ago, an Innova digital unit,....
My Napa guy gave it to me at his cost, a real nice tool,...

Putzin' with it a couple weeks ago, tryin' to get a pair of I-6s runnin' Right,.....
I happen to start punchin' it's buttons, 'n I'll be darned, it reads Dwell,.....

Probably oughta dig out the instructions, 'n read 'em someday,...
Bet it does alota things besides flash, 'n read rpms,.....

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
To your original question - the engine is the same as the Chevy 250 from an early 70's vintage truck. You can always see if you can find some AC Delco parts.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ayuh,.... I bought me a new timin' light a year or 2 ago, an Innova digital unit,....

Putzin' with it a couple weeks ago, tryin' to get a pair of I-6s runnin' Right,.....
I happen to start punchin' it's buttons, 'n I'll be darned, it reads Dwell,.....

Probably oughta dig out the instructions, 'n read 'em someday,...
Bet it does alota things besides flash, 'n read rpms,.....

Bondo, read directions? Really? I haven't read directions since the last time I could get something to work.:facepalm:

I am notorious for avoiding reading directions. And that is because most of the time, they have to post a "warning" and "danger" statement before every step in their directions. I can understand needing to be safe, but for every direction they posting the same previous "warning" and "danger" statements before the step? Case in point. I just within the last two weeks purchased a new Stihl leaf blower and their instruction book could have been written on a single page. But because they had to post the same "warning" and "danger" statements over and over again for every step, it was a book. :eek:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I happen to start punchin' it's buttons, 'n I'll be darned, it reads Dwell,..
That's the light i recommend to most people and it is likely an advance timing light as well. Nice to not have a separate dwell meter.

Is it this one?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...hps_bw_g263_i6

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... That's It,...... ;)

Real nice quality feelin' leads, 'n connectors too,....

achris

More fish than mountain goat
That's the light i recommend to most people and it is likely an advance timing light as well. Nice to not have a separate dwell meter.

Is it this one?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...hps_bw_g263_i6

That's the one I have too. Nice toy!

For the OP. Don't bother with points, just drop a Pertronix system in. Once you get it set up you won't need to adjust anything again. The spark will be hotter and better balanced (less wear on the spark plugs), starts will be better, and the engine will feel smoother. I had an old 165 inline 6 years ago and built my own electronic CDI box for it. Best thing I ever did.

Chris......

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
100 bucks! Where is my matchbook? LO! Yeah the Petronix is great, go with the Ignitor II with the Flamethrower II coil, a few bucks more but worth it IMHO. On mine, my dealer recommended using a fuel pump relay (activated buy the ignition) to connect directly to the battery (via the slave solenoid red wire) to the coil and module to supply maximum voltage and current. Works great!

Last edited: