78 Mercury 260 I/O Stalling

Trollin4life

Recruit
Hi All!
First time posting and really love all the great advise and guesses on here. You all Crack me up, make me do a jig and scratch my head. Love it!
Now I just recently upgraded..
78 Mercury 260 i/O in my Cobalt Runabout keeps stalling going into gear f/r under load. Runs fine on muffs. Tank was full of gas and not sure how old it is. Mech said it looked okay. He also said that timing at base was 29 degrees advanced. Not sure what that tells me. Brand new shift cable, eliminate switch works. Bought from a one owner at 85 yrs old. The meter reads 122 hours. All original hoses even original alt. Indoor stored everyday. My mechanic can't figure it out yet. Which means it costing me. I'm a mechanical guy and can get around a little with a wrench but not a pro. Any advise would be much appreciated.
Trollin4life

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
assuming the switch interupter is not activating in the water under load try disconnecting the tach wire at the coil

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I had a customers boat that would stall when shifting into gear , no rhyme or reason for it that I could discover but disconnecting the tach cured the problem.