66 Starchief won't turn over

66 Starchief. Pretty much all original except the "wiring repairs" done by my Uncles before I owned her. I inherited the boat 2 years ago late in the season, we had some fun with it for a month or so then put her away for the winter. Last year we got her on the water a time or two but started having starting issues. It was an odd summer with one son moving out of state and the other inlisting in the marines so I pretty much just put her away, spending time with my wife instead. (Figured it would be a good idea to figure out if she still likes me before starting another project).

The boat has a 110hp mercruiser I/O that as far as I am able to tell, is original to the boat and has never been opened up.

Heck - the spark plug wires say "Packard" on them.

Anyway, on to this summer. I brought her home from storage to her her ready to take out (and yeah, the wife still likes me - AND wants to go to the lake with me too!!!) but I have not been able to get her to turn over

I've replaced the ignition switch, starter solenoid and charged the battery, nuthin doing

I get a signal to the yellow wire attached to the "S" solenoid terminal

With the key on both posts "s" & "r" on the starter are hot as well as the big one connected to the battery. ( to me, this is wrong but electrical is not my strong suite)

So here is my questions:

1 - how can I test my starter?
2 - if it is bad (and it might be) what starter do I ask for?
3 - any other ideas?

I'm fairly new to boats but my other hobby is resto-modding classic cars (I am currently building a 71 Bronco that all I had at the start was the frame, tub and title) so I do understand the mechanicals

Thanks in advance

Greg

jbcurt00

Staff member
Moved to the Mercruiser forum, not a Starcraft motor.

Solved!

New starter, it was bad, had it checked at the oreilly and confirmed the new starter was bad, got another and installed it, no joy

Changed the ignition switch, it had been giving me some fits anyway, no joy

Changed the solenoid, no joy

Took the new starter off to test it, thinking maybe it was bad too (what are the odds), grounded the case as part of the test and guess what? Spins like a top so I put her back in, no joy....

So I built up a ground strap from the frame of the starter to the block....... Oh yea!!!

Bondo

Staff member
So I built up a ground strap from the frame of the starter to the block

Ayuh,.... I bet if ya cleaned up the existin' Grounds, ya wouldn't need yer added ground strap,.....

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just I figured I'd mention your starter should be marine rated, I know you said you went oreilly so I just wanted to mention that you shouldn't throw a regular car starter on there.

I'm rather new to boats and boating. That's why I posted here and asked for advice. I will be glad to purchase a marine rated starter, where does one purchase one.

And I did clean up grounds. The original starter had a 3rd attachment point that I assume made the ground. The new starter does not have a threaded hole in the case where the bracket would go.

mainejack

Cadet
I'm rather new to boats and boating. That's why I posted here and asked for advice. I will be glad to purchase a marine rated starter, where does one purchase one.

And I did clean up grounds. The original starter had a 3rd attachment point that I assume made the ground. The new starter does not have a threaded hole in the case where the bracket would go.

Good old iboats has them, here (scroll down):

http://www.iboats.com/Mercruiser-St...0663640--session_id.033322803--view_id.268711

Alumarine

Captain
Did that bracket go to the side of the block?
If so, it's not for ground it's a support bracket to stop the starter mounts from breaking.

If the new starter is not a marine starter it won't have the attachment point.