1972 fiberform cabin cruiser help!!

72fiberform

Cadet
Finally got the motor running perfect hooked up the muffs and now it won't spin the prop forward or reverse. The shift goes 3/4 of the way down then revs up but won't shift into gear??? I lowered the prop all the way down before I tried.

southkogs

Staff member
What kinda' drive we talkin' 'bout here?

Welcome aboard.

southkogs

Staff member
Picture is too small to tell, but I think it might be a Mercruiser. Drives of that era shift differently (considerably) manufacturer to manufacturer. You had to post 3 times before you could upload an image. See if you can post a larger image of the drive.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Gonna move this into the Mercruiser section.

The shifting should complete, in gear, before the motor begins to rev. You may have shaft cable issues. I can't help with that, but the M/C guys should be able to help.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Some have a button on the shift handle for neutral only. Located at the bottom of the shifter where it pivots. It could be stuck. Some you have to pull out towards you to get neutral. It could be stuck out. Lust look closely at the shifter, wiggle it and look for the button, or see if it pushes in.

72fiberform

Cadet
Some have a button on the shift handle for neutral only. Located at the bottom of the shifter where it pivots. It could be stuck. Some you have to pull out towards you to get neutral. It could be stuck out. Lust look closely at the shifter, wiggle it and look for the button, or see if it pushes in.

Here's the shifter in my boat.

Attachments

• IMG_20160714_210351434.jpg
    IMG_20160714_210351434.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 0

72fiberform

Cadet
So that black button is a neutral switch also?? I thought it just released the control. Sorry for stupid questions.

72fiberform

Cadet
Awesome! I'm going to adjust the cables and see what happens. I think there's a video on YouTube that's show how.

bbook83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Before you start adjusting the cables, I would verify the operation of the control. You do not pull the lever out to operate the throttle only in neutral. You push the black button in and push the lever forward to throttle up without shifting. When you pull the lever back into the neutral position, when it clicks into the neutral detent the black button will come back out and forward or back movement will now operate the shift cable before engaging the throttle cable. If you do decide to take the control apart, be careful, as there are springs and the detent ball that may pop out of place.

72fiberform

Cadet
So your saying I should just push it forward or back without even pressing the black button? I'll be going home on Sunday to try everything I learn. Thanks!!

bbook83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For actual operation intended to put the outdrive in forward or reverse, you push the lever forward or back from the neutral position. You only push the black button in if you want to throttle up (like when warming up the engine) without leaving neutral. The black button disengages the plate inside the control that would otherwise operate the shift cable, so that you can operate the throttle only when you push the lever forward with the black button in.