2001 Mercruiser 5.0 efi wont start

alldodge

Staff member
The timing may be dead one, but it is a very good idea to set/check timing. All you need is a timing light and a paper clip. Connect the timing light, start the motor then install a paper clip on the DLC connector between pins A and B. The connector is next to the ECM and should have a protective cover over it. Set timing at 10 BTDC

DLC base timing.jpg

Jeffv321

Cadet
Great. Thanks for the info. It'll be a week or two before I'm back at it. I'll post again when I know it's running correctly and consistent. Hopefully the $60 sensor was the only issue.

Thanks again guys, Jeff

CaptainMak

Petty Officer 1st Class
Set timing at 10 BTDC

I always thought the EFI's were set at 8* BTDC . Did they update this recently ?
To the OP, when you plug that paper clip in, your RPM will jump up to about 1100 or 1200. This is normal and that's how you'll know you're in service mode.

Let us know how it turns out for you. Interested.

Jeffv321

Cadet
Ok, I'm back! I haven't timed the boat but have started it on the muffs and it appears to be running fine at both idle and up to 2000 rpm or so. As I put the distributor and rotor back in the same position, does the ECM make small adjustments on its own if the timing was off a little do to dist. position?

Another question. I had the coil wire off of the coil and the coil/wire was completely filled with grease. As I read the shop manual it says to only put grease around the top outer tower of the coil, presumably to seal the boot. Before I read any of this I of course cleaned out all of the grease. Is standard dielectric grease ok to use, and I assume I shouldn't fill the inside of the coil tower like it was before!?

Much Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
Ok, I'm back! I haven't timed the boat but have started it on the muffs and it appears to be running fine at both idle and up to 2000 rpm or so. As I put the distributor and rotor back in the same position, does the ECM make small adjustments on its own if the timing was off a little do to dist. position?

The ECM controls advance and will retard timing if it picks up a knock. But no, the ECM will not adjust timing if its a little off. You need to get the motor in base timing mode and set it at 8 BTDC.

Another question. I had the coil wire off of the coil and the coil/wire was completely filled with grease. As I read the shop manual it says to only put grease around the top outer tower of the coil, presumably to seal the boot. Before I read any of this I of course cleaned out all of the grease. Is standard dielectric grease ok to use, and I assume I shouldn't fill the inside of the coil tower like it was before!?

Much Thanks!

Dielectric grease is what should be used, and yes a bit around the boot to seal, but a small bit inside will not hurt