Shift Cable Bellows - Alpha One 1986

astronutski

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys, new to boating, and am in the middle of replacing the three bellows on the 1986 Alpha One. I am using the info in the Clymer Mercruiser Sterndrive Shop Manual as I go, plus info gleaned here and youtube of course, but am confused on replacing the shift cable bellows without replacing the shift cable itself.

Is there anyone with tips? I've removed the cable at the engine, removed the tiny set screws, pulled off the plastic lug thing at that end. At the stern end I simply tugged on it and it is coming out. I haven't taken it all the way out, been too afraid of that at the moment since I am not 100% clear on exactly how to replace the shift cable bellows but reusing the shift cable. In the manual I see "cut here" but yikes, I want to re-use, not replace so I'm not cutting anything till I get clarification.

I hope to get this mostly wrapped up tonight, or this weekend at the latest. The UJ bellows had two slashes in it, plus it's been in storage for 15 years! so I wanted to replace all three bellows (among other things such as impeller & water pump, and upper and lower oil seals).

Thanks!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The shift bellow can be replaced by itself.Alot depends on the age and condition of the cable.

Is there anyone with tips? I've removed the cable at the engine, removed the tiny set screws, pulled off the plastic lug thing at that end. At the stern end I simply tugged on it and it is coming out.

remove the inner core, then get 2 sockets welded together or a really deep 9/16 six point socket
remove the small end clamp or ty-wrap
INSERT A SOLID CONTROL CABLE CORE to aid in re-installation.allow it to exit 4 feet atleast from the cable sheath
Unscrew the cable and pull it out leaving the solid core
Slide cable off the core and push core inward untill it gets to the end of the bellow
remove old bellow and slide core thru new bellow, apply contact cement /weatherstrip adhesive/bellows adhesive and tighten clamp
pull core out about 4 feet and slide it back thru the cable
Place a small vise-grip on the end of the core
someone pushes and someone pull gently to guide the cable sheath back into place
finish installing the rest of the cable parts.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
I am using the info in the Clymer Mercruiser Sterndrive Shop Manual as I go,

Ayuh,.... That, is at Best a fair knee pad if yer workin' in a gravel parkin; lot,.....

Click here for the Factory Merc Manuals,....

Just scroll up/ down to Mercruiser, 'n side to side for the Factory Manual for yer motor, 'n drive,....

You can just pull the cable out, no cuttin' nothin',....
Toss the metal clip ring that comes with the bellows for the small end, 'n use a couple tiny zip-ties, one goin' each direction,....

Personally, I do the cable when I'm doin' bellows, as they all got 'bout the same life expectancy,...
Trim switch, 'n sender too, if ya use 'em,.... I don't, so don't care the wires rotted off,...

astronutski

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Bondo: Thank you for that link to the manual. I thought only the Seloc manual was a knee pad :)

The shift bellow can be replaced by itself.Alot depends on the age and condition of the cable.

remove the inner core, then get 2 sockets welded together or a really deep 9/16 six point socket
Done and will locate a 9/16" spark plug socket, I've seen this trick in vids.

INSERT A SOLID CONTROL CABLE CORE to aid in re-installation.allow it to exit 4 feet atleast from the cable sheath
OKay, so this is my first time I don't have core lying around, so I'll need to beg, borrow, steal one LOL. Are you saying to feed this "extra" long core in from the engine or the stern, or it probably doesn't matter, just get it in there and have 4' sticking out the aft.

Unscrew the cable and pull it out leaving the solid core
So this is the whacky socket nut you mentioned above right? On the bell housing?

Slide cable off the core and push core inward untill it gets to the end of the bellow
This part I don't totally get. So far we have the second inner core reinstalled, and then the sheathing and the orig. inner core removed as well. Oh, nevermind I just figured it out. So now we're pushing the extra long core up to the aft end of the old bellows.

remove old bellow and slide core thru new bellow, apply contact cement /weatherstrip adhesive/bellows adhesive and tighten clamp
pull core out about 4 feet and slide it back thru the cable
Gotcha! So now the new bellows is installed at the gimbal and we have the extra long core through it and we're beginning to push the sheathing over the core.

Place a small vise-grip on the end of the core
someone pushes and someone pull gently to guide the cable sheath back into place
finish installing the rest of the cable parts.
OKay, so we're feeding the sheathing over the extra long core to position. Then remove that and feed the original core back through the sheathing right?

To me it looked like both of the sheathing ends were too big to go through the shift bellows, but I didn't have the sheathing off, so I'm only going by eye. Is it ridiculously tight, is there a trick to this part? Is one end of the sheathing smaller?

Sorry so many beginner questions, I just don't want to screw something up and lose a boat.

Thank you guys for your help, this forum is fantastic!

nitedmn

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OKay, so this is my first time I don't have core lying around, so I'll need to beg, borrow, steal one LOL. A.

I just replaced my shift cable and didn't have an old core to use either. I use some of the plastic string from my trimmer. It fit perfectly inside the cable housing.

astronutski

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just replaced my shift cable and didn't have an old core to use either. I use some of the plastic string from my trimmer. It fit perfectly inside the cable housing.

Ooo, I like that, thanks!