1986 Mercruiser 140 - Dies After a Few Seconds

ArkansasTim

Cadet
Boat -

1986 Sea Ray Seville 18.5'
1986 Mercruiser 140 w/ Pre Alpha - A339226
2 Barrel Merccarb
Pertronix system

Summary - Ran for 20 seconds all 3 times I pulled the carb but now dies every 2 seconds unless I save it and rev it. Even if I rev it to 2k or so, it will sputter and die after a few seconds.

I had my boat in storage for about 1.5 years and just got it out three weeks ago. I fully winterized it before putting it away (drained block, oil, gear lube, fogged cylinders, Stabil in the gas). When I got it out three weeks ago I changed the oil and gear lube again and put a new impeller in, just to be safe. When I went to fire it up it started almost instantly and ran for about 20 seconds and then stumbled and died. So I started it back up and it ran for about 2 seconds and died again. I pumped the gas a few times and again it started up and died. I could get the RPMs as high as I wanted (though I was careful to not go too high because I'm on the muffs). Even when I was at 2k rpms, it would start to miss/sputter and die, but if I punched the gas as it died I could save it.

It seemed like a fuel issue or bad gas, so I pulled the carb and everything looked fine, but I had an extra carb kit lying around, so I cleaned and rebuilt it anyway. Put it back on and it started for 20 seconds again and then died and would only start for 2 seconds or so. Next I pulled the fuel filter in the fuel pump (already replaced the one in the carb) and it looked fine, but I replaced it anyway to be safe. I also pulled the fuel/water separator and dumped it into a jar. There wasn't any water in it actually, but there was quite a bit of gunk settled on the bottom of the jar. Next I hooked up a portable tank with brand new gas and bypassed the fuel/water separator to make sure it wasn't an issue with the gas or the pick up. I went to start it and still the same 2 seconds and die. I pulled the carb again to make sure my float specs were all good and they were spot on so I put it back together. It fired up for 20 seconds and then went back to same 2 seconds and die.

I will pick up or rent a compression gauge this week to make sure that's not an issue (it was great when I put the boat away, but obviously that can change). What else do you guys recommend? The plugs looked fine and the I triple checked the firing order off the distributor to make sure. It's possible my carb rebuild went wrong, so I can rebuild it again, but is there any thing specifically in the carb you think it could be? Thanks in advance for the help!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Sounds like the fuel left in the carb has gone stale and gummed up the jets. Pull the carb and cleani it out. BTW, your drive is an 'MR'... No such thing as a 'pre-Alpha'....

Chris.....

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
I would agree that it sounds like the carb - but you mention trying another carb. Maybe your pump is worn out? Try removing the line to the carb and cranking the engine over to see how the pump works. Check the fuel pressure if you have a gauge.

ArkansasTim

Cadet
Thanks for the responses! I will start with testing the fuel pressure and if that doesn't seem to be an issue then I'll go ahead and tear the carb apart again. What should the fuel pressure be at when cranking? I'll try to get a reading when it's running for a few seconds, but we'll see if that's possible. Thanks again!