4.3LX repower?

drun_trucker

Seaman
Water tested and it went good. Couple hiccups, 1) Speedo tube coupling assembly was different between boat and new drive. Both drives are 91/92 but a 96 or newer was in the 5.0 drive. Couldn't check speed. 2) RPMs were at 5800. Didn't sound bad but was still concerned. A buddy reminded me the tach was set for V6, whew...oh and forgot power steering fluid.

Got the fluid put it and ran it again. Shifts good, throttles good, planes off quick. I got the Speedo adapter, will put it in tomorrow and correct the setting on the tach.

I look forward to updating tomorrow with good news.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Indicated 5800 set of V6 means 4350 on a V8.... You need to put a proper calibrated 'shop' tacho on it. Dash tachos are notoriously inaccurate.

Chris.....

achris

Thanks Chris! (I've had a built in plotter GPS and never tried the cell phone apps)

I have a Furuno GP-1870 on my boat. Love that plotter. :love_heart: Use the phone app in the car to avoid getting pinged by speed cameras. Car speedos notorious for being inaccurate, and the courts don't let you use that as a reason for going over the limit. :mad: It even has a 'heads-up' feature. Select the heads-up and throw it on the dash, the display is reflected in the windshield, right way up! Nice!

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I have a Furuno GP-1870 on my boat. Love that plotter. :love_heart: Use the phone app in the car to avoid getting pinged by speed cameras. Car speedos notorious for being inaccurate, and the courts don't let you use that as a reason for going over the limit. :mad: It even has a 'heads-up' feature. Select the heads-up and throw it on the dash, the display is reflected in the windshield, right way up! Nice!

Very cool. Thanks.

drun_trucker

Seaman
Engine swap was completed Tuesday, had some issue with starting. Initial start up no matter how long it sat was AMAZING. Barely turned the key and it fired right up. However, after generating even the smallest amount of heat in the engine it would start very hard. Almost as if it was flooding out. There is no electric choke. That carb has NEVER been removed as evident by the factory paint still on the carb bolts. I had a Holley 650 Marine Carb from an earlier purchase that I never used so I thought what the heck, lets throw that on. I need a 1" spacer to get it to fit over the stat housing but after installing my starting issues are gone.

Speed is around 45mph on the dash gauge. RPMs though are only about 4100. I don't have a shop tach nor access to one. Even if being off, I still have about 300-400 rpm to work with. I like the speed (even though I want more) I would like a little more hole shot uuummmppphhh. I have a 4 blade 14.5x18 that I think I will try. What are your thoughts?

achris

What is the current prop size? Impossible to know if the 18" is going the right way or the wrong way without knowing what's currently on.

redmen62

Petty Officer 2nd Class
3 or 4 blade currently? Either way, you'll get your RPMs... fewer if you're running a 4 now

You already have it, so put it on and let 'er rip