1996 Mercruiser 4.3l Bogging/backfiring

driver4hire

Recruit
So, 1996 mercruiser 4.3l in a glastron gs185

Recently had a full tune-up done including plugs wires, cap, rotor, new battery, new pulleys, new water seperator, oil change, new alternator, new water pump and a few other odds and ends. They did not touch the carb.

I dropped the boat in the lake today and she ran fine for about 15 minutes, then it started to slow. I came to idle, it seemed to be fine. So I start to bring it up slow and it stutters and bogs and almost makes it up to speed. It just barely has any power at all. I barely made it back to the dock at slowest speed available. I sit and let it idle for a while then in neutral bring it to about 1/2 thottle. Minor backfires but no loss of power. The problem seems only under load.

My next step is to remove and clean the carb and check for any issues, I had it rebuilt a few years ago but didnt have this issue. I was told the carb was extremely rusty at the time of rebuild. Today I went to touch the adjustment screws on the carb but they are too seized to mess with in the boat. I will try and make an adjustment to them once the carb is out.

I am looking for any other potential issues that this could be. I only put 93 octane fuel in ever since the ethanol issues. Any help would be appreciated.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Double check the firing order on plug wires to rule that out and rebuild the carb

Bondo

Staff member
My next step is to remove and clean the carb and check for any issues, I had it rebuilt a few years ago but didnt have this issue. I was told the carb was extremely rusty at the time of rebuild. Today I went to touch the adjustment screws on the carb but they are too seized to mess with in the boat. I will try and make an adjustment to them once the carb is out.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... I believe yer headed in the right direction, as it sounds like a carb problem,.....

driver4hire

Recruit
Rebuilt the carb, Boat still runs rough once it gets warm. Next on my list is the thermostat. Going on a whim here. Any input would be appreciated!

I will check the firing order asap and report back.

NHGuy

Captain
Fuel filters, did you change them? Did you inspect the contents? Any junk in there?
Was there any water in the fuel bowl of the carburetor?
Try running with the fuel filler cap loose. If that helps clear out the fuel vent.