Need bellows for MerCruiser "O" drives

amuller

Seaman
I have two of these, an 80 hp and a 90 hp. Looking for the drive shaft bellows and the exhaust bellows. These likely haven't been made in a long time and seem scarce. Any suggestions on possible sources?

Thanks.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Alldodge - those were built by Renault back in the late 60s and early 70s. Unfortunately, I don't know where to suggest looking for parts.

alldodge

Staff member
Cool
I just did a search on Renault marine outdrive and it has a link at Marine engines .com but unable to post do to competitor. It does show the parts breakout but most parts are NLA. They also call it 60 and 80 drives. Not saying they are the same, just what I found

Mercruiser > 60 Renault 68 I / L4 1965-1968 > 1887079 - 2049044

amuller

Seaman
Thanks for the responses. The three "O" size drives all used Renault four cylinder engines. These engines use wet liners. the 60 hp unit has a cast iron block, flywheel alternator on the front of the engine (towards the bow) and uses a pair of sidedraft outboard-style carbs. The 89 and 90 hp units have an aluminum block and a single downdraft carb. The main difference is that the 80 hp has a non-crossflow cylinder head and, usually, a manual crankup for the lower unit. The 90 hp uses a crossflow cylinder head and, usually, a hydraulic tilt. I've run my 90 a little, it works but has a rather bizarre cooling system intended to drain down like an outboard, and easily clogged with sand.

It appears that the exhaust bellows is available for around $45. A few places seem to have the drive shaft bellows for around $125. I'm thinking that if these are old stock the rubber may be stiffened up. The units can run without the exhaust bellows but if the drive shaft bellows tears or comes off the boat will be flooded.

My sense is that these units are fun to tinker with for the mechanically inclined but probably don't make a lot of sense for regular use. They are heavy for the thrust they produce, complex, not easy to work on, parts are scarce and expensive.... I guess there are reasons small outdrives aren't popular any more.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
....My sense is that these units are fun to tinker with for the mechanically inclined but probably don't make a lot of sense for regular use. They are heavy for the thrust they produce, complex, not easy to work on, parts are scarce and expensive.... I guess there are reasons small outdrives aren't popular any more.

That is 100% correct. There is absolutely no reason to even consider using a boat / drive combo like that for regular use. The high maintenance costs and difficulty in working on them - or finding anyone to work on them doesn't make sense. They can be fun as a hobby or a "hey look at what I have here!" but that's about it.