Mercruiser 4.3 turns over halfway, starter enganges, battery fine

Rrowe4018

Recruit
Ok here is the situation, I have a 2001 Chapparrel 180 SSe with a mercruiser 4.3 V6. I ran it for the first time since winterizong it last year, about a week ago, started a few times on the lake just fine. Then hit a big wave and the engine died. Tried to restart and heard a metal grinding noise, so I decided not to try to start again due as to not cause any damage.

Got home, pulled the starter, noticed a tooth on the flywheel was broken. Pulled the spark plugs and about a cup of water came out(possible hydrolock?). I hand turned the engine several full rotations and it turns fine without a hitch.

Tested the starter, works fine. Bought new battery and is fully charged. I decided to leave the plugs off and turn the engine with the ingnition, it only turns a half turn. Each time I try to start it now I can hear the starter engage the flywheel, turns over halfway and stops. I am out of ideas on what the problem is. Can anyone help???

Last edited:

Rrowe4018

Recruit
Thought about that, but it is one of hundreds of teeth on the flywheel. When it stops, I can turn the ignition key again and it will do another half turn, and will continue to do so if I keep turning the key. So I don't think that is the problem.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Cylinders with water in usually means a cracked manifold, probably from an improper winterization. Which side did the water come out? Remove that side exhaust manifold and check for cracking. Engine only turning part way could indicate internal damage, bent/broken con rod, etc. Engine has to come out to fix the ring gear, so pull the oil pan at the same time.

Chris.....

Last edited: