Mercruiser Quicksilver Shifter Control Help....

Status
Not open for further replies.

becdea

Seaman Apprentice
I currently have a quicksilver control for my 93 deckboat (was on the boat when purchased). The boat has a Mercruiser MCM 5.0LX 305 CID Alpha One. Used the boat for a few yrs with this control now and this week the control arm is messing up bad. I am pretty sure the gears are stripped. Last night I lost neutral. Does anybody know if it is possible to fix the parts that are broken, or do I need to get a whole new assembly? Or upgrade to a new control altogether? I like this control seeing as it has the throttle only, the trim, and the trailer button. Any help or suggestions? Attached a pic below of what I have

Attachments

• photo246847.jpg
    photo246847.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 20

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I had similar control on my 1984 Sea Ray cuddy. When I had constant trouble getting it to shift into "throttle only", I elected to update the whole shebang to current production. It wasn't cheap, $400+, but included a new shift cable. Zero problems since.

Last edited:

becdea

Seaman Apprentice
I am pretty sure the outdrive is a alpha one gen II Bravo. I could be mistaken though.

Thanks Four Winns 214. I really dont want to sink another 400 into this year. I redid tons last year's of. The boat, really wish this would have happened when it was torn apart last year.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

becdea

Seaman Apprentice
The set screw under it was missing. The handle is holding on by God knows what. It is holding on by a thread. The throttle only button I had popped off and there were metal shavings inside of it. In forward the handle is as far as it can go an the boat is not near its full speed. It does not go into neutral now so in order to go from forward to reverse I shut the boat off and move the handle to get in into the gear I want

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
OK, sounds like your problem is the missing set screw. You are stripping out the splines in the handle and it is slipping on the shaft when you put pressure on it. You can not put enough pressure on the shift cable to activate the shift interrupt. If you put a set screw in and get the control handle on there securely I bet it would work just fine. Looks like either a 1/4-20 or 5/16-18. If it is striped, drill and tap for next size larger.

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I am pretty sure the outdrive is a alpha one gen II Bravo. I could be mistaken though.....

It's either an Alpha One Gen II OR a Bravo (I, II, or III)... If it has "Mercruiser 5.0LX Alpha One" written on the engine cover, it's an Alpha One Gen II..... Bravo is a very different drive.

Agree with Terry, find a new set screw (or drill out and fit larger). Us dumb guys gotta stick together. ;) And even if that doesn't fix it, parts for the Commander 2000 control box are readily available.

Chris..........

becdea

Seaman Apprentice
Ok thanks I am going to try that. However I am pretty sure the splines inside the handle and on the shaft are totally gone.

becdea

Seaman Apprentice
Nope splanes are gone. Smooth on smooth....what are my options now. Not good I am guessing

becdea

Seaman Apprentice
It is not a commander 2000. I have looked forever for it they no longer make them, So I have been told. Either I buy a one, find a used one, or buy they 2 parts I need for over $100. I am trying to figure if I can rig it somehow.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
It is not a commander 2000.....

Quite correct, it's a 'Commander Classic'.... And as you say, the handle is no longer available, and the shaft on the plate, which is available, is over $100.
If you wish to chase on ebay/craigslist, the part numbers are, for the handle -88314A13, and the plate can either be 92474A8 or 92474A11 depending on another part inside the control.

If you wish to see the manual, download THIS. Your control is section 4A.

Chris........

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Looks like you can find the handle for about $40. Are you sure BOTH the shaft and handle splines are stripped. The handle MAY be brass (or aluminum) and the shaft steel, not sure on that. If it is, the steel splines of the shaft may just be full of brass. You might check that out. Then just clean out the shaft splines and get a new ( or used) handle. Do an Internet search for the part number.

becdea

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys my wife found one on some swap site. Some guy was parting out his boat. Got all of it for 100 and he had just had it refurbished last season.

Now can I install this with the boat still in the water?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Sure. You are just connecting the cables that go to the plate on the engine. Download the manual in Chris's post #11. Your control starts at page 71. You should only need to unhook the cables from the old control and hook then up to the new one. You might lube the throttle only shaft while you are at it.

Last edited:

becdea

Seaman Apprentice
Ok thanks again. My shift interrupter is stalling out even in neutral. I put a new lower cable on last year so I don't think thats the problem. I currently have the interrupter undone. Any ideas?

ibrahim11khalil

Recruit
I had similar control on my 1984 Sea Ray cuddy. When I had constant trouble getting it to shift into "throttle only", I elected to update the whole shebang to current production. It wasn't cheap, $400+, but included a new shift cable. Zero problems since.
Four Winns 214
Can you give me some info about what brand or what should I get to replace the whole shebang ?
I have the same throttle control but not sure what to replace it with .
Thank you in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.