Is it normal...?

R055

Chief Petty Officer
Is it normal for a carbed engine to stall when shifting into reverse when cold?

Hey guys everyone I launch I have to run it a good 3-4 minutes before I can shift into reverse without stalling. Once warmed up I have no problems shifting. 2003 4.3 carbed mercruiser with alpha drive.

It's annoying when the ramps are busy and I has to stay at the launch a couple minutes to warm up before shifting into reverse and sometimes neutral.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
sounds like a high speed idle and/or general tuning adjustment issue.
Very similar to a car stalling as you put it in drive before its warmed up using an auto transmission. Soon as it loads, the engine speed drops and it stops.

Shouldn't be hard to cure with basic tuneup and adjustments.

Very important to get the idle RPMs adjusted properly in gear on the water.
Can be done tied to the dock , but accidentally reving up is very bad.

thumpar

Admiral
It is not normal. I would guess something with the carb is not adjusted right. On my carbed boat I would let it idle for long enough to make sure everything was ready (30 seconds maybe) and then head out.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Depends on how cold is cold. I need to run mine at the dock for about 90 seconds for the choke to open enough.

To say it's not normal to wait is wrong. Marine carbs do not have fast idle cams, so there is always a bit of a warm-up period. The choke is most likely slightly out of adjustment.

All adjustments need to be made in the water. Idle is set in the water

alldodge

Staff member
The first start is the time when the choke is used. If it's not adjusted correctly the motor will have trouble running, and more so under load. If you have a TKS carb this is controlled by the enrichment solenoid.

Onexl85

Petty Officer 1st Class
I need to run mine at the dock for a few minuets or it will probley stall.....not to mention it's always good practice to let these engine get up to temp before running......I also let it idle before shutting down............idk maybe it's ocd

R055

Chief Petty Officer
Okay thanks guys, I'll do some reading on adjusting choke and idle and give it a shot when I'm in the water next time with very little people.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
"Sometimes neutral" am assuming that is from throttle only. It could be that your idle is set a little low. With the engine warmed up check the tach, should be 650-700 RPM, adjust idle stop and the carb idle screw for smooth operation. If you think it is going to be a busy day at the ramp, put the muffs on and run it in the driveway for 5-10 min. before you head out, see if that helps (not a bad idea anyway). Make sure you unhook the muffs before you leave, don't ask me how I know ;).

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
On my carbed 4.3 (Volvo though), as soon as I start it I can engage reverse and pull off the trailer. Definitely agree there is an adjustment needed on your carb.

Off topic: stonyloam, your warning about driving off with the muffs on reminds me of the time I pulled out of the driveway with my boat trailing the extension cord which was plugged into the onboard battery charger... 50 feet of orange failure advertising my stupidity ;)

R055

Chief Petty Officer
"Sometimes neutral" am assuming that is from throttle only. It could be that your idle is set a little low. With the engine warmed up check the tach, should be 650-700 RPM, adjust idle stop and the carb idle screw for smooth operation. If you think it is going to be a busy day at the ramp, put the muffs on and run it in the driveway for 5-10 min. before you head out, see if that helps (not a bad idea anyway). Make sure you unhook the muffs before you leave, don't ask me how I know ;).

Whoops I ment forward instead of neutral my bad. I've also left my muffs on and only found them after I was ready to drop the boat in and did a one last look all over the boat just in case. That probably saved me a impeller and potentially other overheat problems.