What shift cable do I need? Mercruiser 4.3 6cyl with Alpha One

jm999

Seaman
Hi all. I'm going to replace the lower shift cable for my Alpha One. The only 'part number' I could find was a number printed on the brass jacket where the threaded part begins near the shift plate on the engine. That number is 032312. Haven't been able to find anything relevant to a shift cable with this. Are the shift cable kits that I see around the web usable on all merc/alpha one drives? The boat is a 1989 Celebrity. Thanks for any help you can lend!

meder24

Seaman
I recently just purchased a new shift cable kit for my 3.0 Merc. I used the serial numbers from both the engine and out drive unit to find the proper cable.

jm999

Seaman
Thanks for the reply. What process did you use to find the right part? My serial numbers are:

Engine: 0C520890
Transom: 0C638344
Drive: 0C641765

Bondo

Staff member
sierra 18-2603

Ayuh,.... I ain't buyin' anymore Sierra shift cables,...

Only Merc from now on,.....

I've recently installed a couple of the newest, greatest Sierra lower shift cables,....
The inner cable is slick plastic coated, just like the newest greatest Merc cables,....
But,......
On the Merc cables on the aft end, the little plastic extension is white, 'n screws into the brass,...
No extra long socket necessary,....

On the Sierra cable, the little extension is black plastic, 'n Crimped into the brass,.... like the Ole Merc cables,...
Ya gotta putz 'round, 'n use an extended 9/16" socket again,....

'n Yes, an Alpha lower shift cable is an Alpha lower shift cable, they're All the same vintage wise,...

Last edited: