mercruiser 4.3 to auto conversion questions

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class
I figured i would start a new thread as my old thread title is misleading to what i am doing now, which was...

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...-v6-to-v8-swap

I have decided to use a 4.3 engine out of a 2001 blazer, I have the engine tore down to the bare block and heads, I am going to use the cam shaft that came in the truck engine, and i am going to change out the head gaskets to the stainless merc gaskets, or sierra equivalent. The engine came with brass core plugs which saved a little work, but i am stuck with what to do about the oil filter spot in the block, The auto engine came with what looks to be a oil filter relocation housing in the block, and when i removed it thinking i could just screw a oil filter into the same spot its a no go...here is a couple pics of what i am dealing with....what is the solution to be able to use a filter in the same spot?

Attachments

• oil filter hole.jpg
    oil filter hole.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 0
  • oil filter housing.jpg
    oil filter housing.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

th

Last edited:

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok perfect thanks!. I will look into the felpro gaskets as well

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
make sure to use a marine engine ciruclating pump. the automotive ones look similar, however do not last.

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class
make sure to use a marine engine ciruclating pump. the automotive ones look similar, however do not last.

Ok thanks yeah I am going to use a pump from sierra, Is gaskets from sierra fine to use? I have seen that I should use OEM for the exhaust and elbow gaskets, Any luck with head gaskets from them as well? The shop we get a lot of work done to our work trucks will get me anything from Sierra for there cost plus a discount...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I try to use OEM gaskets or Felpro. OEM for the exhaust manifold to riser and the outdrive, Felpro for the remainder of the motor. Sierra is buying their gaskets from somewhere, could be felpro, could be perfect circle, could be tims house of gaskets. I have never had an issue with Felpro