Mercruiser Alpha One Bellows, Gimble Bearing, Shift Cable Replacement Video

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Just looked at the video. Nice job.
Couple of things. If you have a broken or siezed shift cable, the easiest way is to drop the gearhousing straight off the drive shaft housing. That removes the lower shift shaft from the upper shift shaft and means you can then remove the drive shaft housing from the bell-housing without the need to have the shift cable in forward.
Next. That tube infront of the shift shaft coupling point is the speedo pitot tube, and it's a 'click' fitting. There is a section you left on the gear housing that just pops off when you squeeze the fitting. It stays on the end of the tube you pulled off.
When removing the trim switches (on the sides of the gimbal ring), don't remove the 4 cover screws from the assembly, just the 2 mounting screws.

Look forward to seeing the other parts.

Chris........

alldodge

Staff member
Its always good for folks to put stuff like this on video, it sure helps when folks need to do something which they have not done. Thanks

While I didn't watch clear thru any of them, I did watch a few minutes of each. The close up pics are nice, but over all most the time IMO there is just way to much movement. The camera needs to be a bit further back and stationary. Should only come in close when there is something in particular which needs it. As before just my opinion