Changing shift cable at helm

redmen62

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm finally on the last step of converting my port engine to counter rotating!!!

Put on my new port outdrive, bellows, zincs, props, and outdrive shift cables (both engines for the replaceable stuff) and I thought I was good to go... I guess I missed the step where I need to change the connection of the port shift cable on the shifter at the helm, however I'm at a loss how to get to the connection on the throw.

I found the set screw on the throws that allow you to slide them off, but I for the life of me can't figure out how to get to the cable linkages under the plastic cover.

I attached a pic of my shifters. They're on a 1983 regal 277 with twin 305's and alpha one drives

Attachments

• helm.jpg
    helm.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 0

redmen62

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I already found that thread and printed the section on shift cable adjustment.. but before I even get that far, I need to get to the linkage on the throw. From what I could find, that's not in these manuals

alldodge

Staff member
For the Alpha 1 it need 3 inch travel for shifting +/- 1/8

redmen62

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Right, I found that too... But I still need to change the linkage on the throw, and I can't get to it. THAT'S what I'm trying to figure out... how do I get to the shift cable linkage

alldodge

Staff member
All shifting in the counter rotating as well as the LH rotating drive is done in the lower section of the drive. So adjusting the drives are done opposite of the LH rotating drive. The shift on the control is the same when adjustment has been completed. During adjustment, you just do it in reverse of the standard

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
remove the 4 mounting screws and remove the throttle assembly cables enter from the bottom.You should find 2 control boxes bolted together
UntitledCO2_zpsmbe1muo8.jpg

Last edited: