steering hard after replacing bellows mercruiser 3.0

joysticks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I saw this answer before last year but can't find it, help

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Need alittle more info on what's up, 'n which thread,....

joysticks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK so let me start over. Since replacing the bellows on my mercruiser 3.ol alpha 1 gen 2, I can shift boat(altho reverse is harder to get into) and run it. Trouble is the steering is really hard. I spent a lot of time last year on shore because of this. Does anyone have any idea what I did wrong or what I need to check to fix the steering.

joysticks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hard steering

I have a merc 3.0l alpha1 gen2 - the steering has become very hard. I don't see anywhere I would put grease. no place to put fluid. Any suggestions? I put some wd40 but no help.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Changin' the bellows should have no bearin' on hard steerin',.....

Have ya disconnected the cable from the transom, both the clevis pin in the end, 'n the big nut on the aluminum tube,..??
Does the drive swing easily then,..??
Does the steerin' wheel turn easily then,..??
Can ya pull the cable back outa the aluminum tube,..??

Often, the cable corrodes inside the tube from a lack of grease when put together,....

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Often, the cable corrodes inside the tube from a lack of grease when put together,....

Or I have seen white grease in the cable end that hardened over the years. Pulling it apart and cleaning, then lubing it, did the trick.

joysticks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was putting outdrive back together after replacing exhaust boot and one of my trim cylinders seems to be stuck in out position. any suggestions?

joysticks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
got that fixed but I also disconnected the speedometer cable at the back of the engine and the outdrive swings easy whilk steering wheel is still hard to move. gonna try to disconnect cable from front and take a look.Oh and the cable seems like it would come out of tube easily.

Last edited:

joysticks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK so I- through a series of the tests you described above concluded that it is my steering system so I ordered a 14 ft cable and will put it in when it comes. Thank you very much all. I get so much help from this forum.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
It's power assisted steering right? Or no?
What about power steering fluid? Or power steering unit bad or seized? Belt slipping on power steering pulley?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Just replaced a power steering setup. The owner waited till the ram, and the cable were completely shot, lost all steering and did not know why. Cable seized, and steering ram leaking badly.

joysticks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
well its rack and pinion steering and not sure where about power steering fluid.

joysticks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I pulled the old cable out and am about to replace it, but I am confused . Is it really that cable? Could it be something in the transom? I put my finger in the power steering fluid and it seemed full. Trouble is I don't see a problem with the old cable.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Well, with the cable disconnected just at the hookup at the transom, you turn the wheel, and see if it feels stiff. If not, its usually ok. Just checking the fluid, don't mean the pump is working properly either.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Well, with the cable disconnected just at the hookup at the transom, you turn the wheel, and see if it feels stiff. If not, its usually ok. Just checking the fluid, don't mean the pump is working properly either.

Grubs right. Pull the cable off the steering at the back, clean it up and lube it. See if the wheel turns easily. If it does, the cable is fine. Most of the time hardened grease and dust has made the cable end stiff and this fixes it. Not very often is a new cable needed.