1984 3.0 140 Merc Distributor shaft is spinning.

Tmacular

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK so yesterday on the lake my spark plug wires and coil wire ripped off the distributor. Upon replacing the wires today I noticed that the top of the distributor shaft where the lock bracket is, is stripped down a bit. I readjusted shaft took apart fuel filter and wrenched bracket back down nice and tight about 3 times. However when cranking the motor it will hold for a second and then seems like a hesitation during turn over and starts to spin. Im not really sure what part has gone bad here and looking for some help. Ive always been an outboard guy and im a little out of my element with this engine.

Last edited:

williemon

Cadet
I had an issue like this. On mine, if i pulled the cap, rotor, and points and the plate it sat on, underneith where the centrifical spark advance weights and springs are, there was a screw that held the weights in place that came out and lodged between it and the housing. It would get wedged in there and cause the distributer to spin. I took it all apart and reseated those screws with lock tite. Put it back together, had to re time the distrubutor in reference to cylinder one and it was all good.

Tmacular

Petty Officer 1st Class
this was down in the engine at the shaft bottom? Thats where my issue seems to be. The metal has shaved off enough now to where it seems the bracket wont hold it secure anymore. I was thinking of trying a shorter bolt to see if i can get it to be tight. If I take off the bracket will the entire shaft and distributor come off in one piece? I was thinking thats my best scenario for locating problem. The actual distributor is not advanced at all. But the issue is it wants to spin and snap off all my wires again.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
you need to remove the dist and try to turn the gear by hand. it should turn easily with finger pressure
If you persist in just trying to tighten it down so it dosent spin you will RIP THE CAM GEAR TO SHREADS

Tmacular

Petty Officer 1st Class
you need to remove the dist and try to turn the gear by hand. it should turn easily with finger pressure
If you persist in just trying to tighten it down so it dosent spin you will RIP THE CAM GEAR TO SHREADS

Ok cool, the gear on the bottom of the shaft itself correct? Is there anything I should be seeing down inside the shaft hole while im there? And what would cause this. I had the engine rebuilt last summer, ran great all year. This year ran great the whole time on hose while revving up and changing gears no problems. Take to water and add some force and bam, within 5 mins on water this happened.

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the camshaft gear drives the dist shaft gear. To actually spin a dist the shaft is binding in the housing or the advance assembly has a loose screw/spring/bolt/nut under it. There are cases where the shaft has seized on the bushing that is at the top and the bottom of the dist body

Last edited:

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Remove the cap and the hold down clamp. Pull the distributor up and out. Not many parts in one, but you need to check it all out. Any auto or boat mechanic can assist in inspection or post pics and we'll help.

Alumarine

Captain
If you uploaded pictures of the problem areas it would really help figure it out.
How did all the ignition wires get ripped off? Did the exterior of the distributor spin around?

Tmacular

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

OK so pulled it out today and I cant spin the shaft or the gear by hand at all. Completely seized. Down inside looks good, so I need a new shaft? then switch over my cap and rotor? ANyone have leads on the parts

Attachments

• photo245157.jpg
    photo245157.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo245158.jpg
    photo245158.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
DSCN3727_zpscg1dm23y.jpg