No ignition, no alarm, have power to everything

kiddboat

Cadet
I went out on the bay had a great day going with the family, but after a BBQ break on the beach for about 4 hours the boat would not start, let me define. The alarm for the ignition would not even sound . Radio works, blower works, bilge works, ect. Had a buddy close by and after checking fuses inside engine and on fuse panel we both decided to tow back to nearest launch. After I read a few threads I thought I had this licked, but here I am. I'm thinking my ignition has gone bad but I'm humble and will listen to any advice. Oh and I checked safety, throttle in neutral, heck I undid battery terminal and cleaned too, no luck. Please tell me I missed something.

kiddboat

Cadet
Also I recently replaced alternator belt and steering belt. My boat is a Tahoe q4 07 with a mercruiser 3.0. Sorry I did not include that in first post.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Do the gauges show any activity turning the key. If no,check the 50A circuit button and see if there is a square white plastic block at the starter

MI_Pirate

Seaman Apprentice
I went out on the bay had a great day going with the family, but after a BBQ break on the beach for about 4 hours the boat would not start, let me define. The alarm for the ignition would not even sound . Radio works, blower works, bilge works, ect. Had a buddy close by and after checking fuses inside engine and on fuse panel we both decided to tow back to nearest launch. After I read a few threads I thought I had this licked, but here I am. I'm thinking my ignition has gone bad but I'm humble and will listen to any advice. Oh and I checked safety, throttle in neutral, heck I undid battery terminal and cleaned too, no luck. Please tell me I missed something.

Is there a switch somewhere on your throttle that you are supposed to attach a safety lanyard to? You know, the kind that you clip to your clothes or life jacket that flips the kill switch if you fall overboard to prevent the boat from running away or running over you?

Because your description sounds exactly like what my boat does when I flip that switch. I turn it off whenever I dock away from home. It may buy me a couple of precious minutes if anyone ever tries to steal her...

Edit: You DO have a kill switch... http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owne...t_z/tahoe-boats/452987-run-stop-safety-switch

Last edited:

kiddboat

Cadet
Yes I was referring to kill switch as the safety on throttle, even tried to reset it many times, as far as gauges no I'm getting nothing on guages and I did reset the 50 amp breaker on top of engine. Did not notice a white block on starter what exactly am I looking for?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
DSCN3426_zpsvi9hyxop.jpg

kiddboat

Cadet
I did not notice that but when I get home I will look for it . I have been reading more and seen another case like mine on another thread and I think your right and that fuse is blown will find it and test with multimeter.

dridas

Cadet
I'm having the exact same problem, and would be very interested to see what you found out. I followed the troubleshooting steps on another post here, and verified the neutral and kill switches were both closed/shorted prior to attempt. I verified 12v on the starter, and 12v on the top small connection on the solenoid when ignition was turned. I have a battery charger that has an 80A engine start, which will start counting down when power is drawn....that never happens. I'm beginning to wonder if that small white block could be the problem.

Where do the wires off the back run to? I have a 2006 Tahoe Q6S with a MerCruiser 5.0L. I only get a click from the slave solenoid when I turn it over to start, and it seems the starter isn't being engaged. I never hear the solenoid click, and it's not drawing power - could it be that white block? If yes - what is it called, and where can I get one? With a test light, i seem to get a light (sometimes).

Thanks for any help in advance. I'd have made my own post, but seemed the OP and I are having the exact same issue.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
For dridas, you should start your own thread so it dosent get lost. A clicking slave means you have some power present. jump the 2 large lugs on the slave, starter should spin . If not check all battery cable connections both positive and negative. Especially the neg block connection

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
for kiddboat, you can also check for voltage at the output terminal of the alt. orange wire

kiddboat

Cadet
Ok I feel dumb, a buddy came over from work and we trouble shot and went through all electrical connections with a multimeter. Traced problem to bus bar we thought. Then went to look a a fuse block off battery. When I grabbed the fuse block and pulled up it loosened a connection which had been Jammed at a 45 degree angle to the positive terminal and was not getting a connection . In my defense the nut was tight and I could not see the connection was cattywhompas. Needless to say boat started up and all is well thanks all for the help I have learned more about the ignition system in my boat than I ever thought I would know.