Engine dyno

ericcarr2000

Ensign
As some of you may know I'm still in the process of trying to get my engine dynoed. It has been at 'Wilson marine' in bay city Michigan for almost a month now and when I called them this past weekend they still have yet to even look at it. Now I've lost out on boating for the memorial dsy weekend due to this. Does anyone know of a "reputable" marine place that dynoed motors that won't take months on end?

Fun Times

Staff member
Are they local to you for personal drop off or did you have to ship the engine there?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
plenty of machine shops with engine dyno's doesnt necessarily need to be a "marine" place

Alumarine

Captain
It's a bad time of year to take anything to a marine place.
As Scott said, find an engine shop with a dyno.

Just curious. Why do you want to dyno it?

Last edited:

ericcarr2000

Ensign
Well just to know the exact performance specs on it and to dial in the carb jetting to get it running tip top.

NHGuy

Captain
I need to tune my engine too. Wish I had the cake to get an AFR setup.
But the nice thing about a dyno run is the report and the results.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
But the nice thing about a dyno run is the report and the results.

Ayuh,..... For the price of a Dyno run,... I'll use the prop under load to tune my motors,.... The Ultimate dyno,....

I'll make a guesstimate on horsepower based on that,.....

Horsepower is just a numbers anyways,....

The way yer hull moves, or Flies is what counts,.....

ericcarr2000

Ensign
Update....just got a call from the guy who's dynoing the motor. He told me that I have a real bad leak at the intake near the valve cover. With my experiences in the past, wouldnt a leaky intake gasket cause it to run hot & blow black smoke & run lean?

Maclin

Admiral
Just curious, can a Dyno be tuned to simulate a Marine type loading curve on the engine while tuning? Kind of like a reverse tractor pull where the load gets heavier and need to see the a/f ratio up high with that type of load?