2004 mercruiser 3.0 fuel pump sucking air?

So when I use the little pressure guage on the fuel line between pump and carb when do I take the reading? Do I try to get it running at idle and check it then?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Just noticed this thread needs to merge with this one you started with similar issues, there all fuel related
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...r-from-walmart

GA_Boater what do you think?

Merged, AllDodge. Thanks.

I already removed the bulb and it acts the same way. I'm going to test the pressure of the fuel
Line to the carb as one very generous member suggested to me. That should tell me a lot.

Every member reply is generous, whether you think so or not!

Why are you asking questions when you consider some replies to be useless and you are not following much advice offered by members trying to help you? You acted the same way in your fuel pump relocation thread. http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...ated-fuel-pump

The Golden Rule works - Try it!

What is going to happen if you have low fuel pressure indicating a possible bad fuel pump. If you can't change the filter, how are you going to change the pump? It's nice to be a DIY'er, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and take it to a shop.

whoever "merged" the posts lost some valuable information regarding the pressure guage pressure requirement and where to get it - that's not helping. I understand merging but don't lose the information everyone has spent their time contributing.

thumpar

Admiral
All the posts are still there. They are just all put into one thread.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
whoever "merged" the posts lost some valuable information regarding the pressure guage pressure requirement and where to get it - that's not helping. I understand merging but don't lose the information everyone has spent their time contributing.

I did the merge. Are you sure? I know I am.

Sometimes it takes a little time to settle in.

i did check - there was info given by All Dodge I believe with a link to where to get the fuel pressure guage along with what pressure range it should fall in - that info is missing. Are you sure its there? I am sure, its not.

Fun Times

Staff member
i did check - there was info given by All Dodge I believe with a link to where to get the fuel pressure guage along with what pressure range it should fall in - that info is missing. Are you sure its there? I am sure, its not.
Post number 11 has the link, http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...3#post10190923

But here is the link again for you, http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-pu...ter-93547.html

Post number 9 has the fuel pressure at between 4-7 psi, http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...fuel-pump-sucking-air?p=10190922#post10190922

Also could you post the part number of the Atwood filter kit you bought from Wally-World?

Last edited:

Fun Times

Staff member
Cross referencing the part numbers this Attwood filter number 11841 shows for compatibility tells me that it's sort of compatible due to all the numbers shown are now considered old/outdated/no longer available part numbers but with a harder to search effort, you'll eventually notice that some of the part numbers used (show below) have superseded that would now be used on your engine model had Mercruiser installed a water/fuel filter on your engine.

So with that mentioned technically this filter should be good to use on your engine. Just know that I have seen in the resent past where someone tried using an universal aftermarket filter that was from Attwood that was designed for outboards only on an I/O and the engine wouldn't allow high RPM so I just wanted to double check this filter for you.

Though technically this should not matter to much, after confirming the parts numbers eventually matched, The only thing different I noticed different about this filter from Atwood is the micron numbers are smaller than the OEM and higher end aftermarket filters such as Sierra. Mercruiser's OEM filter that would be used on your engine is 25 microns while the closest Sierra filter I could find is 21 microns. While 10 Microns are supposed to be better filtering's, Having the issues you are seeing, it would personally have me be wondering (and testing) if this is really a good filter to be using.

Fuel/Water Separator 10 Micron Replacement for: Mercury 35-60494-1, Aqua Power 6031, GLM 24940, Sierra 18-78250, SMI 15494, Valmar 52113, Marpac 7-0872
11841-4: Fuel/Water Canister
�10 Micron replacement for: Mercury 35-60494-1, Aqua Power 6031, GLM 24940, Sierra 18-78250, SMI 15494, Valmar 52113, Marpac 7-0872.

4f0711b3-d231-43c0-bf52-8c32a526f61f_400.jpg

Last edited:
Well. I'll yank it off and see how she runs without it. Seems straightforward enough. I'll post the result. Thx for your time and research.

Saw actual packaging this morning when getting in car for work and part number is actually 11840. Not sure if this makes a difference in your research though.

Fun Times

Staff member
Saw actual packaging this morning when getting in car for work and part number is actually 11840. Not sure if this makes a difference in your research though.
No it didn't really affect anything as I had seen that in the searches. 11840-7 is possibly just the latest "Kit" number as it comes up in all the searches while 11841-4 is the filter part number that comes up for both an replacement filter or in the installation kit. ​http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/fuel-water-separator

cool - so got the fuel pump pressure guage - went to go locate fuel line going to carb and I have the clear line going to the carb from the fuel pump/filter - so do I put the tee connector on that line? It also looks like I have an electric fuel pump on the front of the carb.... so how would I test the fuel line pressure again, with this in mind?

alldodge

Staff member
I'm pretty sure you have a TKS carb and the carb has a round module mounted to the side of it, this is not a pump, its a solenoid.

Attach the gauge in line and between the fuel pump and the carb using a Tee fitting