relocated fuel pump!

So absolutely impossible changing fuel filter in this boat. Thats why it hasn't been done in 12 years. Would it cause issues to relocate the entire fuel pump to the front of the engine so that maintenance will be easier down the road? Also want to install a water/fuel separater. As I see it, the main metal fuel line would have to be rerouted with a new one. Does it have to be metal? Anything else i'm overlooking? Is it located where it is by design and won't function properly if relocated? Any advice would be seriously appreciated.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
And you are asking about a __________________? All we know is you might have a Mercruiser.

correct - ideally i'd like to relocate that pump to a more accessible area for future maintenance - i am also going to be installing a water/fuel separator so at very least i can deal with the pump where it is and not worry about putting a new spring loaded filter in the pump which is what makes it so difficult due to being so badly located that only one hand can work on it at a time - so it's ok to leave the fuel filter out of the bowl if the water/fuel seperator is installed - correct?

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm confused. How does someone relocate a mechanical fuel pump?

GA_Boater

correct - ideally i'd like to relocate that pump to a more accessible area for future maintenance - i am also going to be installing a water/fuel separator so at very least i can deal with the pump where it is and not worry about putting a new spring loaded filter in the pump which is what makes it so difficult due to being so badly located that only one hand can work on it at a time - so it's ok to leave the fuel filter out of the bowl if the water/fuel seperator is installed - correct?

How often are you changing the filter now? Is it clogging? If that's the case, it might be time to find out why because that isn't normal and needs to be fixed.

Thing to do is add a fuel filter/water separator and a new filter element in the fuel pump. Then forget about the one in the pump, filter/separator will be the primary fuel filter. You can not relocate a mechanical fuel pump.

I'm confused. How does someone relocate a mechanical fuel pump?

That's why I wanted confirmation from Fish. It can't be done.

Yep. That's what I'm going to do. However it's incredibly difficult getting the new filter into the pump. Would it be ok to just replace the bowl without a filter element which would be 100 times easier to do than replacing the element and allow the water fuel separater to be the one and only filter?

GA_Boater

Yep what? It keeps clogging?

No - Put a new filter in with the spring. With a pre-filter, it should never clog.

lol. I'll install two side by side water fuel separators before I continue trying to install the fuel pump filter with the spring! Are two separators a good idea if I don't install the fuel pump filter?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
So absolutely impossible changing fuel filter in this boat. Thats why it hasn't been done in 12 years. Would it cause issues to relocate the entire fuel pump to the front of the engine so that maintenance will be easier down the road? Also want to install a water/fuel separater. As I see it, the main metal fuel line would have to be rerouted with a new one. Does it have to be metal? Anything else i'm overlooking? Is it located where it is by design and won't function properly if relocated? Any advice would be seriously appreciated.

Dude, the mechanical fuel pump is driven by an eccentric lobe on the cam shaft. How do you plan on relocating it?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... The canister filter will do the job,... til it's full,....

2, in-line, is twice as many leak points,....
On the vacuum side of the fuel pump, that means bubbles insteada gas is pumped,....

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
OK so get yourself a new fuel pump gasket, take off the lines and unbolt the pump and change the filter on the bench, then just bolt it back in. As for the f/w filter, there should be a flexible line somewhere with between the tank and the pump where you can splice it in. Then you should be good to go.

thumpar

Admiral
If you think access to the pump on a 3.0l is hard try a 5.7l with the engine driven seawater pump. The only thing I miss about my 2.5l (same size as a 3.0l) is the access. You could go electric with a fuel filter/separater but you would need to add an oil pressure switch.

OK so get yourself a new fuel pump gasket, take off the lines and unbolt the pump and change the filter on the bench, then just bolt it back in. As for the f/w filter, there should be a flexible line somewhere with between the tank and the pump where you can splice it in. Then you should be good to go.

i appreciate everyones input but this is the best advice/encouragement I've gotten - makes sense. But first i'm going to perform a set of fuel line vaccuum/pressure tests that another member on the board suggested. I've just been in and out of the hardware store last few days when i get a chance around work to get the correct fittings for the t connector - i'll post the results