84 SeaRay Seville has hard time after 30 minutes

alldodge

Staff member
More important for them to be within 10% of each other, but should be around 150 psi

HRHVT

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, Compression test done. ! cylinder was between 115-120, the rest were 130 give or take a little.

alldodge

Staff member
Your post 32 was saying the dying after so much time has been fixed.
Post 40 says its better but still doing it
Compression numbers are good enough
Fuel pump was replaced but you still have the classic problem which would say your running out of gas. So either the pump is not pumping correctly or there is some other restriction and the carb is running out. Need to get a pressure gauge on the carb. If you get one of these (part number 91-18078) it will make it easier to connect a gauge

91-18078 fuel fitting.jpg

HRHVT

Seaman Apprentice
I guess post 32 was speaking too soon. Was excited because it ran longer than usual. we tried 4 gallons, instead of 1 1/2. Thought it was ok, but then when we ran it the 2nd time a couple days ago, it seems as though it lasts longer but then does do the same thing again. Just took longer, so caused false hope.
So I will get that part and connect a pressure gauge to it. Will have to try to get the gauge as a loaner i guess. Will i be testing the pressure from the fuel pump?
I'll try to look online to see how to hook it all up, or write back to you, either way to let you know the pressure results. Again though, I will have to test it when i first start out and then again after it "dies" in the water right?
Still not thinking it is time for rebuilt carb? It did all start happening after some work was done on the carb, (replacing the accelerator pump) Doesn't seem like that pump is working right now anyway.
Ok, just throwing it out there.
Thanks again
Kevin

HRHVT

Seaman Apprentice
and this would go between the fuel pump and the carb right? where the metal line would be? so that is why that attachment is so helpful, it has the tee on it to attach the pressure gauge.
Whereas, if i just get the gauge kit you showed me, then how would i hook that up in a metal line?
trying to stay away from the 42 dollar part for a 1 time test.
You had said one time before that maybe the carb is due for replacement. If that's true, and was going to be replaced anyway, would it be wise to swap it out for remanufactured at $250, and see if that solved all the problems? (if it probably needs replacing anyway).
I do still stall when going up on the throttle, have to get it "past that point" to go WOT. and of course, i still have the idle adjustment screwed cranked practically all the way down, or at least way past what it seems like it should be.
Man I wish u lived closer, lol

alldodge

Staff member
It sounds like your carb does have some issues, but if your fuel pump cannot keep up do the pump or a restriction, the issue may remain somewhat of the same issues.

HRHVT

Seaman Apprentice
Where would the restrictionbe seeing as i changed the fuel pump? I can change the fiter again, see what happens

alldodge

Staff member
Where would the restrictionbe seeing as i changed the fuel pump? I can change the fiter again, see what happens

Have no idea, this is why I said the pump "or" a restriction. If the gauge is installed and the pressure stays up then it has to be the carb "if" it does not, then its before the carb

HRHVT

Seaman Apprentice
ahh, i follow you. Thanks. I'll get that pressure checked out when I get the gauge and the "adapter"
Thanks,
I'll let you know