350 MAG MPI - Stalls when going to idle

ss3964spd

Cadet
So after 8 years of trouble free operation we've had our first issue with our boat.

Heading back to the ramp after a beautiful day on the water. Everything running normally, we enter the narrow channel at about 30 MPH and started gradually slowing for our approach to pass under the bridge. No out bound traffic to worry about, water calm, no wind, no current.

We're lined up nicely, and maybe 40 yards from the bridge, so I pull the throttle back to idle speed. Alarm sounds, engine dead. Crap. Key off, throttle lever to neutral, turn key. Engine cranks just fine and sounds like it maaybeee wants to start but doesn't. Crap. Push throttle lever center button to disengage out drive shifter, and open up the throttle a bit, cranks, starts, and sounds fine at about 1000 RPM's.

Temp, oil pressure, volts are all normal. Return throttle to neutral to re engage drive shifter, alarm sounds and engine dies. Will not restart in neutral. I have one crew member grab the pole hook to fend off if necessary but our previous momentum and heading carries us under the bridge safely. Once on the other side, same story; can restart with throttle advanced but as soon as it's returned to neutral it stalls. I finally was quick enough with the throttle lever to get it in gear but can't run it at idle speed so we're heading to the ramp dock a little hot. Throttle back to idle speed maybe 30 yards from the dock and it stalls again. Our alignment was great so drifted right to the side of the dock and I was able to grab a cleated and hanging dock line and bring her to a stop. Once tied up I test again, same symptoms.

Ideas? My first thought is the Idle Air controller (IAC).....

NHGuy

Captain
That's a common issue. If it turns out to be that carry an extra. They fail without warning.

Fun Times

Staff member
+1 on the idle air control.

To find and order your correct parts, you'll need your engine serial number.

You'll also want to clean the throttle body, flame arrestor, the area where the IAC muffler rests and install a new IAC muffler.

ss3964spd

Cadet
Thanks for the feedback. I've done some more research and IAC failures are all over and very common.

​I have the S/N, and have also read about replacing the muffler along with the IAC. Easy job. I'll check the TB and arrestor while I'm in there, engine has only 252 hours on it.

Dan

ss3964spd

Cadet
Just to close the loop.....

Replaced the IAC today. Probably the easiest job I've ever done on the boat, took maybe 45 minutes. Took longer to put the boat in the water, test it, and take it out of the water.

It started right up in neutral like it should. I let it idle away up to its normal operating temp of an indicated 175. Disengaged the drive from the throttle lever and ran it at about 1100 for a couple of minutes then quickly returned it to idle. Purrrrfect.

​Thanks again for the assist.

Dan