Starter issue on warm engine?

Onexl85

Petty Officer 1st Class
When the engine is cold, the starter sounds powerful and turns right over. after floating around a bit I go to start up and the starter sounds like it's struggling. Been going on for a week now. I keep the batteries on charge, they are fresh and when I load test them they are perfect. Possible loose connection?
Merc 5.7 thunderbolt v 1997

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Is the starter an old style field coil that weights 25 Lbs or a newer gear reduction style that's 1/3 smaller? Mine was an old style and it was doing the same thing so I replaced it with the newer style and problem solved. The starter sounds like it's on it's way to leaving you stranded on the water. If you do have the old style and upgrade be sure to get new bolts for the new style as they're needing to be shorter so you don't bottom out and snap the long ones off when trying to torque them down.

philbullet

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had alot of trouble on this isue but with 470 engines because starter is mounted right under exhaust manitfold like most.
I solved this isue for the most part by making a heat shield and put in beween starter and matifold.
Made it out of aluminum and curved it to go behind starter some.

Onexl85

Petty Officer 1st Class
Timing was just done, she's right on. It's the new style starter

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Timing was just done, she's right on. It's the new style starter

If everything is perfect then there shouldn't be a reasons for the starter to have an issue. By struggling do you mean it drags and turns over the motor at a slower rate of speed than when cold?

I would go through and check all of the connections, cleaning them to shiny bare paying special attention to the ground. If it keeps doing it then take off the starter and have it bench tested.

Onexl85

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes, I would say it drags.......like it's not the motor.......almost
Like the starter doesn't have the oomfh like it does when cold