Alpha One - Gimbal Housing bolts & exhaust o-ring

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
I'm doing a transom rebuild (build thread link below). I broke one of the lower carriage bolts with the rubber seal and I'm wondering what kind of hardware I can replace it with. I found bolts with anodes for almost $50, but I don't need the anodes. I wouldn't mind replacing all the hardware as some of the bolts are looking worn where they went through the transom.

Also, what kind of glue do I use around the exhaust o-ring, bellows adhesive?

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Picture of the o-ring / glue in question.

Attachments

• photo244873.PNG
    photo244873.PNG
    31.9 KB · Views: 2

Rick Stephens

Admiral
You can use the regular carriage bolt type lower bolts and rubber washer on the bottom. Different years had different solution. The anode version costs lots more but it is a steel bolt I believe. While the later plain carriage bolts were aluminum with an aluminum nut. I sealed the outer half of mine in the transom plate and transom with 4200. Just don't trust fully that little rubber washer... Pick your bolt type, won't hurt a thing.

I used CopperCoat, which is just a rubber cement based gasket cement, on my big foam gasket. I picked it since you can let it tack up and it will hold the gasket in place during assembly. Anything that does that will work, even bellows cement. Probably worst would be silicon.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
I wouldn't use a regular steel carriage bolt. I believe the bolts are integral to the galvanic action / corrosion resistance aspects of the aluminum. (Not sure about that 100%) - I am sure there is a reason however that they used aluminum bolts down at the bottom.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I wouldn't use a regular steel carriage bolt. I believe the bolts are integral to the galvanic action / corrosion resistance aspects of the aluminum. (Not sure about that 100%) - I am sure there is a reason however that they used aluminum bolts down at the bottom.

I was going by what Merc has offered over the years. The bolts I have had that have the anode on the end are steel. The replacements bolts I used are aluminum carriage bolts. Depending on year, you can find either in the parts lists.

Rick

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
I was going by what Merc has offered over the years. The bolts I have had that have the anode on the end are steel. The replacements bolts I used are aluminum carriage bolts. Depending on year, you can find either in the parts lists.

Rick

I wasn't able to find a parts list with the bolts, do you have a link by any chance? I wouldn't mind replacing them all if I could find a set but have struck out. I think what I have are the aluminum carriage bolts. I'm not worried about anodes, she's never going to see saltwater and rarely even spends the night in the water.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
The only ones I have seen are these: (Part#55989A8):

s-l500.jpg

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
Went to the parts store and after a bit the guy was able to find the bolts. They are different than the anode bolts. If anyone finds this in the future, the bolts do change over time to the anode style (does not matter though the anode bolts will fit the drive).

Boat Year - 1992
Drive Serial Number: [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]0D654710
Bolt - 10-43691
Rubber Washer - 12-32620
Metal Washer - 12-21900
Nut - 11-34087
[/COLOR]