Merc 3.7L Top End Assembly Issue

brodie123

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi All;

Mercruiser 3.7L L4 224 engine:

Well guys, I think I may have messed up my assembly on the top end. After running the motor for a couple hours, started getting some nasty top end noise.

I bought new lifters (they are old and prob original) thinking I had a sticky lifter.

When I took a closer look at the rockers, between the rocker and ball where there is a small oil path, there is severe wear. I think I must have assembled it wrong (if not just wear from age).

The oil paths are almost completely worn in.

I see that the oil path is angled on both the rocker and the ball. Which way is the ball supposed to fit into the rocker? should they cross each other or align in the same way? I think I may have had this reversed causing no oil flow?

After that, please confirm this is correct:

Install all rockers (making sure push rod goes back in same place). Make sure valve is in closed position before tightening rocker bolts to 20lb by rotating engine. Collapse lifter w/tool and check valve clearance.

Done with rockers.

Where did I mess up? Did I install the rocker ball incorrectly?

thx

brodie123

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Here's what they look like - got the pic off the net - was not able to get a good pic on my phone.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• photo244859.JPG
    photo244859.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 0
  • photo244860.jpeg
    photo244860.jpeg
    6.4 KB · Views: 0

brodie123

Petty Officer 1st Class
Any ideas here guys? I can't find anything on how the rocker ball and the rocker itself is supposed to line up for the oil passage on each.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Can't really help you here... I am not familiar enough with the specifics of the infamous 3.7 engine. I do seem to remember that they used different lengths of push rods however. What work did you do to the head?

brodie123

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, getting parts for it is tricky too. Had a valve job done.

Weird that I can't find any info on these rockers as to which way they go but the little oil channel on both are obviously directional. Just don't know which way.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Since that particular engine is so unique, it might be a good idea to change the title of the post to reflect a question on the 3.7 liter engine. Some of the members have rebuilt those and will know more. I am simply bringing this back to the top for you. ;)

brodie123

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thx. All I found on how to change the topic was to msg the Mod so I did. Else, I will make a new post.

Thanks again - I know this is a tough one.

Fun Times

Staff member
By chance have you tried using/looking at both an OEM and aftermarket service manual? Sometimes using both manuals together may offer more guidance vs just the one. Sometimes an aftermarket manual may go into a written detail of what the difference may be of how to do something while the other may seem vague. Just something to consider looking into is all...Hope you can figure it out, good luck.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
I did mine a long time ago, so I can't remember exactly how it went, but it I think I just dropped them in and torqued them down ( with valve closed). As I recall they fit the contour of the bottom of the arm. As for parts, the head is a stock Ford 460, pushrods, arms, valves should all be available from your local Ford dealership.

brodie123

Petty Officer 1st Class
I picked up new rockers and ball mounts and heh heh heh became pretty obvious what happened.

When I re-assembled the top end, I did not match the wear pattern for the ball mount and rocker and it re-broke in and I lost enough clearance for the clatter.

The rocker actually has no oil channel but the wear pattern made it look like it did. Only the ball mount had an oil channel. Apparently it doesn't matter which way it goes in (when new) as long as you do 'not' change it during a rebuild.

She's purring again with new rockers and ball mounts. Hopefully this will help the next person with the same issue.

Thanks guys.