What battery?

zul

Petty Officer 1st Class
My new to me boat had a suspect low battery so I bought a new one. In the pinch, the battery store didn't have an exact match for the original Interstate battery. So we got one as close as we could and off I went. Here's what I've got now:

Interstate Group 24: 550 CCA / 690 MCA / 140 Reserve Capacity
Duracell Group 24: CA @ 32 deg 615 / CCA @ 0 deg 500 / Mins @ 23 Amps 150

This is a simple 12v setup with a spare battery.

The Interstate is not coming up enough on my volt meter so it's headed for the recycle. Is that Duracell strong enough to rely on? I've had it out on small trips twice now but I do worry if it is correct size or not?

When I head back to the battery store, what numbers should I be concerned with? Cranking Amps? Cold Cranking Amps? How many CA? And I have no idea if that reserve capacity is necessary. Stepping up to a Group 31 ($135) ... overkill? One brand suggested over another?

I am running a Sea Ray 4.3L and I also have a self-jumper with a good high rating. Two batteries with a good self-jumper ... Is that overkill? My next trip will be deep onto Lake Powell and as they say, you can't be too over prepared on a big lake.

Thanks for the help!!

zul

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Howdy,

I like big buttes! I mean batteries.... (but there's also big buttes at Powell too!!)

It's not overkill to have a good spare too. if you don't have one, get yourself a GOOD automatic battery charger that will also trickle/pulse when you store the boat during the off season!

The Interstate might come back, you would have to use a hydrometer to measure the electrolyte specific gravity. Also, if the plates are sulphated badly, there are ways (claimed) to bring them back using pulsing type chargers. But the claimants are the people selling these rather expensive chargers.

Here's more info from people NOT selling them http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/sulfation_and_how_to_prevent_it

I really like AGM type batteries for boats and trucks. But expect to pay a LOT more for them.

All that said, I would not go up a creek (or Lake Powell) without a paddle (and an additional GOOD battery.....bigger is better....) AND I would even consider an el-cheapo Harborfreight solar panel if the boat was big enough to store it or you could put it on top of your bimini etc.....

I envy you! I love Lake Powell!!

Cheers,

Rick

Fun Times

Staff member
Is your engine fuel injected or carbureted? What year is the boat?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Minimum recommended battery for 4.3

MPI - 550CCA/825MCA/150Ah
Carb - 375CCA/475MCA/90Ah

Your Duracell meets the MPI and exceeds the carb. You have a second battery.... I'd say you're set. :)

Chris.......
BTW, I have a pair of Bosch 125D31L (760CCA) batteries and I run over 45 miles out on the high seas. :D

JerryIrons

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My general understanding was that the more CCA's (cold cranking amps), the better. So the duracell is most likely better than the interstate.

I keep a backup battery on the boat as well.