Woo-Hoo! She Floats!

JoLin

Vice Admiral
For the first time, I DIY'd a major service on both my Alphas. New bellows, water hoses, shift cables, trim sender/limit switches. Modified a motorcycle jack to R&R the drives. Built a pressure tester and as a result, replaced the shift shaft bushing in one drive. Literally spent DAYS adjusting the shift cables, climbing from the bridge to the swim platform to see if the props were spinning, to the ER to make an adjustment, then do it again, ad nauseum.

Launched the boat on Thursday (after a mostly sleepless night) and voila! No leaks, the drives shift fine, engine temps are normal, and had a great ride from the launch ramp to my slip. Can't vouch yet for the U-joint bellows. I'll know that in the Fall when the boat comes out. With my new jack and pressure tester, it'll be a snap to service the water pumps next year.

All in, including the jack, pressure tester, special tools (eBay) and parts (all Merc OEM) it cost me about $1.000., or half what the mechanic would have charged for the 2 drives. Next year's water pump replacement and general service should cost me about $150. That's a QUARTER of what it costs to have the mobile mechanic do it.

I could not, and would not have had the confidence to tackle this job if it hadn't been for this forum. The knowledge and advice one finds here is simply incredible.

Pretty happy with life right now. :)

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
congrats. now grab a cold one, sit back and smile......then go boating.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sounds like a good Summer is on tap. JoLin. Have fun!

JerryIrons

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Jolin I know exactly how you feel, well maybe half because I only have one alpha haha. Write a few things down on how you ajdusted the shift cable as notes for when you do it again, or any other tidbits of info that will help you. Because you may find yourself not even needed to adjust anything for a year...

Also if you get water coming in the boat that's a sign of a torn u-joint bellows. Watch your gauges constantly, and listen for the boat to sound different indicating something is off...

I can remember spending hours just trying to get the outdrive back on, or hours figuring out how the shift cable can be adjusted, it happens a lot quicker now!!!

It's a good feeling, because it's hard to work on a boat, and when it all comes together and runs great you did good!!

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Ever since I retired and couldn't afford to have the major stuff done for me anymore, it's been one new self-imposed adventure after another, all on the Carver. I've always been pretty handy, but I've never done the kind of work I've done in the last couple of years.

I've now replaced the helm hydraulic steering pump, the windlass, installed a complete marine air conditioning unit and separate shore power circuit from scratch, replaced manifolds and risers. Isn't much major left that I haven't tackled, or wouldn't try.

This forum has been the key to most of it.

If I ever replace those f**** shift cables again, I'll make sure I have TWO friends to help. One on the bridge at the controls, one on the ground to watch the props, and me in the ER to make the adjustments. I'm getting up there (and have COPD) and all that climbing nearly did me in.

My .02

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Good job...........did the same on my boat this year.
​Where did you get a slip?

NHGuy

Captain
Nice going John. I am doing my GII now. I have done a regular A1 years ago. Wish me luck.
BTW do I have to remove the shift cable housing?
Mine shifts well. I am doing the bellows because it got water in it and the boat was new to me last summer.

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Nice going John. I am doing my GII now. I have done a regular A1 years ago. Wish me luck.
BTW do I have to remove the shift cable housing?
Mine shifts well. I am doing the bellows because it got water in it and the boat was new to me last summer.

Shouldn't have to, but you may need to pull it out a few inches to get clearance between the gimbal housing and bell housing. I'd do it by removing the small clamp on the shift bellow. Might want to start a separate thread- guys who've done only the gimbal bellow might have a better answer. Good luck!

Tony, I got a private slip on Lewis Circle in Babylon. Several of my Power Squadron friends slip their boats there, too. Makes it fun.