boat stalled out today

boatman37

Lieutenant
hey guys. i know this will be difficult to diagnose over a forum but put the boat in today and was heading to my slip at about 1000 RPM and about 2 minutes in it shut off on me. no indication of anything wrong. just like it ran out of fuel or somebody shut the key off. its a 1986 merc 260. after a few minutes ii got it fired back up and made it to the slip. after getting everything settled in i started it back up (after visually checking the engine compartment) and it was idling at about 800 RPM then a little sputter but it kept running.

back story: the boat ran perfect last year. stored indoors under ground all winter with about 30 gallons of valvetech in it with no stabilizers. i changed the fuel separator last week and fired it up on the muffs and let it run for about 10 minutes and all was fine. today i filled the tank (added about 40 more gallons) at the gas station with 87 octane and added a fuel additive to offset the ethanol.

any ideas? i didn't leave the marina so couldn't open it up to see how it was at speed. i thought maybe an air gap from the separator but i would have thought that would have cleared itself in the driveway the other day. maybe the 30 gallons that was left in it all winter? any other additive i should add?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
remove the fuel sep and dump into a clear container ,let sit a few minutes. see if there is a seperation line, Sounds like water in the fuel

boatman37

Lieutenant
will do BT Doc. Thanks. i am thinking it is fuel related. would dry gas help? i think it contains ethanol though doesn't it?

boatman37

Lieutenant
pulled the separator and poured it into a glass jar. no separation at all and no indication of water in it. i fired it back up. seems fine at idle now. could it have been an air lock?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Could have been. Could also be a cruded up anti siphon valve, a plugged vent, and how about the in port screen on the carb?

At least in a slip you can fire it up and stick in gear for a test.

boatman37

Lieutenant
well went down to the boat today. took it out for a cruise and it ran fine. i did notice when i first pulled away from the dock it felt like it was sputtering a little like it was loaded up. i went about a couple hundred feet and it started clearing up and the RPM's started climbing (i was in a no wake zone so only running about 1000 RPM but it jumped up after it started clearing up).

this is a 1986 carb'd motor. last year i only gave it about 1/2 throttle then back it down prior to starting the engine. this year i started putting it to full throttle then back it down and starting it. my reasoning was to set the choke. would this be flooding up and loading it up?

boatman37

Lieutenant
another update, yesterday i went back to only giving it a little throttle at startup and not setting the choke. seemed much better. i am going to assume that was my problem?