merc v6 to v8 swap

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah i figured the carb would have to be adjusted, this will be my first time messing with a auto carb. I have lots of experience with dirt bike and 4 wheeler carbs but they probably are much different. I only run in salt water so i will have to change the head gaskets for sure. And i just checked and i cannot find a mechanical fuel pump on the block so i think i am good that way

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have found a motor out of a 2001 s10 with 60k miles on it. Is the block itself the same as a 1993 merc block as far as swapping all the accessories brackets and and everything else that bolts to the block?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Your 2001 block will be identical other than the heads and intake and will not have a hole for a mechanical fuel pump. Your exhaust and everything else will bolt right across. Timing cover will be plastic and it will have a balance shaft as well. You should count on acquiring an after market replacement metal timing cover if you want to do it right.

Last edited:

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Your 2001 block will be identical other than the heads and intake and will not have a hole for a mechanical fuel pump. Your exhaust and everything else will bolt right across. Timing cover will be plastic and it will have a balance shaft as well. You should count on acquiring an after market replacement metal timing cover if you want to do it right.

OK great thanks for the info. Will the merc heads off the 93 bolt onto the new block? If so do I use the 93 push rods as well? I am weighting out either doing that or using the vortec heads and looking for a 8 bolt intake manifold which don't seem to be very cheap.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
No such thing as 'merc' heads. The heads on your 93 are pre vortec, but still just plain off the assembly line Chevy heads. You want the vortec heads and intake. Adds a nice boost in hp. Vortec heads use different pushrods and rockers. Also different intake. Worth the effort if you can swing it.

Last edited:

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class
No such thing as 'merc' heads. The heads on your 93 are pre vortec, but still just plain off the assembly line Chevy heads. You want the vortec heads and intake. Adds a nice boost in hp. Vortec heads use different pushrods and rockers. Also different intake. Worth the effort if you can swing it.

OK. I bought the engine today for $500. I think i am going to try and find a 8 bolt intake and keep everything vortec. What did you have to change in your carb as far as jetting for the extra hp? I have a 4 bbl.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I had to go quite a bit richer. The vortec is nearly same airflow as a 5 liter motor. Depending on what carb you have you may be changing jets and meter rods.

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had to go quite a bit richer. The vortec is nearly same airflow as a 5 liter motor. Depending on what carb you have you may be changing jets and meter rods.

Do you have a 2 bbl or 4 bbl? Did you use the base pan off your non-vortec?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I went the morphodite bastard motor route. I bought a donor boat with a rebuilt 4.3L in it. The previous owner took a '93 block and stuck a wrecking yard set of Vortec heads on it (marked S-10). The engine was then parked in the boat without anything over the carb except a tarp - no flame arrestor, no nuthin. So hole #6 filled up with water and pitted it bad enough that I bored it again and replaced brand new .020 pistons and rings with .040 pistons and rings. As purchased by me the original 4barrel Rochester carb was sitting on an after market Performa intake with a square bore to spread bore adapter. When I dropped this newly again rebuilt motor in my older boat the carb was an inch too high for the doghouse, so I bought an Edelbrock 1409 square bore Marine carb for it and the calibration kit made for the 4.3L. This got rid of the adapter plate and lowered overall height by an inch. Said factory Edelbrock 4.3L calibration kit was 'waste of money too lean' in a Vortec motor and SummitRacing, believe it or not, refunded the cost of it since I had to recalibrate it all the way up to basically what they put on 5.0L engines. That's the long version.

Short version:

I have a 4 barrel Edelbrock carb, which is the same as the OEM Weber carb, and I had to richen it in primary jets, secondaries and metering rods to work with a Vortec converted '93 motor.

My motor has the steel pan, one piece main seal, the Vortec roller cam, lifters and pushrods, Vortec heads, Performa intake, 1409 carb and Airtex E11003 electric fuel pump. I figure I am somewhere around 240 HP since this configuration would be 230 HP with a balance shaft and just turning a balance shaft costs about 15HP.

Last edited:

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok that sounds like you had quite the project as well. I think i can figure out the re-jet once i get to that point. I have both motors down to the bare blocks and heads now. The vortec has a plastic timing cover and my old engine has a tin cover, Can i use the harmonic balancer off my old motor on the new one? I noticed the timing tabs are different.

alldodge

Staff member
Why do you want to use the other damper, the pulleys can swap?

R055

Chief Petty Officer
If I remember right, I remember reading on this forum that you cannot use the pre vortec harmonic balancer on the vortec block. Balance will be off.

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class
If I remember right, I remember reading on this forum that you cannot use the pre vortec harmonic balancer on the vortec block. Balance will be off.

OK. Does it matter that my old engine has the balance shaft but not vortec heads?

alldodge

Staff member
The damper is different on the new block, the pulley off the old block will not fit in far enough to bolt up to it.

Dampers are design for a given block type and I wouldn't change it. Newer models went to roller over flat tappet. I was hoping you were just talking for looks.

Hey Bondo what do you think

Bondo

Staff member
Hey Bondo what do you think

Ayuh,.... I think the balancer goes with the rotatin' assembly,....

I'd find the right pulleys, 'n leave the balancers on the motors they came on,....

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ayuh,.... I think the balancer goes with the rotatin' assembly,....

I'd find the right pulleys, 'n leave the balancers on the motors they came on,....

Thanks bondo. ..that makes good sense. I wonder if my old accessories bracket will swap over and everything still line up...