Bad Mercruiser 5.7

The_Driller

Cadet
So the story goes, I just bought my first boat a 1990 Bayliner 2250 CF with a 5.7 and Alpha one knowing it may need some tlc. Lol.

Was running ok first time taking it out the lake till it just wouldn't want to start. Turned out what I thought to be just flooded. Got it to start only by using WOT, no matter I did but still sounded ok. Tried to take it out the 2nd time which ended badly. Ran ok for an hour, then was skipping across the lake the motor made a horrible clattering sound and died as I was quickly powering down, smoke coming out of the carb. The harmonic balancer split in half, main pulley and water pump were grinding plus didn't explain the internal engine noise when I had all pulleys off till I took the harmonic balancer completely off and noticed the about of play in the crankshaft was up and down. Had a marine mechanic to confirm that it would need a rebuild if block is still good. Just curious on what's this forums thought on what to do...

The_Driller

Cadet
I have picked up the service manual #15 for this motor, have fully rebuilt a motorcycle and done plenty of auto but never needed to take out a motor till now. Tempted to do it myself, rebuild or replace.

tpenfield

Staff member
You may do better getting a remanufactured 5.7 or new crate engine versus a rebuild. Not sure I'd want to rebuild something that had a bent crankshaft . . . might end up being more $$$ than the reman.

How much TLC $$$$ do you have?

alldodge

Staff member
Agree with Ted, that motor is toast, suggest starting fresh

The_Driller

Cadet
My budget atm isn't much, wasn't expecting to pull the motor. Would say for the motor about 2k unless I wait a month. The marine mechanic quoted 4500 for the rebuild and install. Though I plan on having the boat very long time, best I learn and do it myself and go with what Ted said.

alldodge

Staff member
The mechanic is giving you a price based on what he knows right now, which isn't a lot. Not slamming the mechanic, but if he gets into the motor and finds parts broke he didn't plan on having to replace the price will go up. Now what he could also be doing is pricing a reman long block and he will just swap out the accessories.

You can get a 5.0 or 5.7 for about $2300, may increase a couple hundred without a rebuildable core.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
At this point you want to completely evaluate the rest of the boat before you start (continue) putting money into it. Check the condition of the transom, floor, and stringers and see if they are sound or rotten. Also the outdrive - have you changed the oil? Pressure tested it?

The_Driller

Cadet
Floor and wood is in good condition, no I haven't checked the outdrive or stingers but will be once I take out the motor.Upholstery has been restored except for one back bench seat, gauge cluster has been sun burnt. Hull front has couple chips but nothing bad. Trim goes down but not up however tilt works.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
sounds like a broken crankshaft but I have installed 2 long block motors from this supplier, no issues
Daddy O`s Marine .out of Fla
New GM 5.7L Vortec 325 Hp 1Pc Main Seal Longblock* Fits Years: 1997-2012 (Carburated or Fuel Injected)
Standard Rotation, 1 Pc Rear Main Seal. Roller Cam & Lifters, Vortec Cylinder Heads. Center Bolt Valve Covers. No Mech Fuel Pump. 8 Bolt Intake Pattern.
$2795.00

New GM 5.7 L 260 Hp 1Pc Main Seal Longblock*
Fits Years: 1987-1996 (Carburated Only)
Standard Rotation, 1 Pc Rear Main Seal. No Mechanical Fuel Pump Provision. Center Bolt Valve Covers. 12 Bolt Intake Manifold Bolt Pattern.
$2595.00

Last edited:

The_Driller

Cadet
Went with a long block from Michigan motor, with the roller upgrade. Got a outdrive gasket set and engine alignment tool. Anything else out of the ordinary I'm missing?