Mercruiser lube monitoring system?

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
When and what model did MC start adding the lube monitoring system?

alldodge

Staff member
All Bravo's and Gen 2 in 91, I think not sure.
There was a guy here which installed the lube system on his Alpha 1, just need to drill the holes, tap and add it

alldodge

Staff member

Fun Times

Staff member
Like mentioned, The beginning models of the Bravo didn't utilize the gear oil reservoir system which was in 1988. The gear oil reservoir system began use closer to the 1989 model year as seen here, 1988 vs. 1989 Bravo Drive
Unit and Transom Assembly Interchangeability

Gimbal Housing Oil Reservoir Bulkhead Fitting -Material Change

If I recall this correctly, the oil reservoir system was considered an option between 1991 - 1995 but it was mostly an option with/on the 4 cylinder engine models....(I believe).... Have a look at the Gen 2 Square Bottle Kit seen in the seventh image down, http://mercstuff.com/reservoir.htm < All the info in that link may help with a few questions you may be having.

What year, engine/drive models are you working with?

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Like mentioned, The beginning models of the Bravo didn't utilize the gear oil reservoir system which was in 1988. The gear oil reservoir system began use closer to the 1989 model year as seen here, 1988 vs. 1989 Bravo Drive
Unit and Transom Assembly Interchangeability

Gimbal Housing Oil Reservoir Bulkhead Fitting -Material Change

If I recall this correctly, the oil reservoir system was considered an option between 1991 - 1995 but it was mostly an option with/on the 4 cylinder engine models....(I believe).... Have a look at the Gen 2 Square Bottle Kit seen in the seventh image down, http://mercstuff.com/reservoir.htm < All the info in that link may help with a few questions you may be having.

What year, engine/drive models are you working with?

Do you know how easy it would be to modify an old alpha to accept the kit?????

Fun Times

Staff member
Do you know how easy it would be to modify an old alpha to accept the kit?????
What year/serial number Alpha drive?

If you have an Alpha drive that was made roughly between 1976 - early 1991 then I don't know for sure or believe the upper drive shaft housing can be converted/drilled out to accept the Spring, Ball and Seal Kit typically found on Mercruiser Alpha One Gen 2 and Bravo drives as these drives either came with or possibly more prefabbed to accept an oil reservoir system.

This kit in the following link is the check ball that keeps the oil from leaking while the stern drive is removed. It goes in the upper unit between the two top right (starboard) mounting holes. http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/shop/inde...;products_id=5 729

I sort of recall what AllDodge mentioned above about a past member being able to somehow add an oil kit to a drive without drilling through the boats hull like you'd do with Pre-Alpha kit number 69622A7....But I don't recall exactly what model stern drive he had or can't recall enough key words to search for it here on iboats or online...It may have been an older drive model as it did seem pretty unusual.:noidea::encouragement:
If it was a Pre Alpha type drive, then he would have had to drill out the transom assembly as the plug you'll be seeing below won't/shouldn't be there, the bell housing and the drive shaft housing...If possible.:noidea:

If you have the Alpha Gen 2 drive/transom assembly, then it would be a little easier to do as the stern drive should have the hole already in place with the spring kit already installed. The bell housing is a 50/50 of having the hole in place and you won't know until you pull the drive off.....If the hole is not there then a 1/2 inch drill will open it up to install the dribble valve as seen in the Merc-stuff link above and that valve comes in that kit too.

On the Gen 2 transoms, The hole should already be in place to install the bulkhead fitting by simply removing plug part number 22-73379 that looks like this, http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...3379+&_sacat=0 And that plug can be found in the general location of item number 14, http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/s.../30858/1017/30

Also if the bell housing does have the 1/2 hole then you'll have to remove plug item number 4 http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/30858/1017/50 And install connector item number 8, http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/30858/1017/170

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Just thought of something FT, so please correct if I'm in error. If you can get the lube tube from the bottle to the stern, you could install a fitting in the vent hole instead or drilling the whole. Not saying it won't have it's one issues but it would work, I think

Fun Times

Staff member
Just thought of something FT, so please correct if I'm in error. If you can get the lube tube from the bottle to the stern, you could install a fitting in the vent hole instead or drilling the whole. Not saying it won't have it's one issues but it would work, I think
If you're asking about a pre-Alpha, and finding a way to run through the gimbal/transom assembly then I don't believe using the side vent would work well as you may possibly damage the hose with ever turn or trim up or down as the hose begins to run to the outside of the drive towards the vent.
They do have a kit that if you drill through the boat hull/fiberglass it connects to the side vent on the port side like seen in the seconded image, http://mercstuff.com/resevoirinst.htm

Other than that, like you I thought someone said they got something to work but I'm not sure what generation drive it was...I cannot find it.

Gen 2 would be easy with the kit available even if the hole isn't there in the bell housing.

fishrdan

Admiral
I installed a lube monitor bottle on my 72' MC-1; replaced one of the upper unit's fill/drain screws with a metal gear lube pump fitting, made a fitting to go through the transom (couple of brass fittings) and then a radiator overflow bottle. I have the same running gear in another hull that came with a bunch of modern Mercruiser parts, so I'm using the official Mercruiser lube monitor bottle now, but all the other set-up is the same.

Just make sure the hose from the drive to the transom is long enough for the drive to turn side-side, up-down.

[Edit: just looked at FT's link and like how that kit sets-up the transom fitting better than what I did, the fitting is centered over the drive, instead off off to the side as I did. Ohhhh well, I'm not changing it now...]

Last edited:

Fun Times

Staff member
Made a fitting to go through the transom (couple of brass fittings) and then a radiator overflow bottle.
As in Merc's transom / gimbal housing for the stern drive or did you drill through the boats hull?

[Edit: just looked at FT's link and like how that kit sets-up the transom fitting better than what I did, the fitting is centered over the drive, instead off off to the side as I did. Ohhhh well, I'm not changing it now...]
I've seen that style too both in person and online, I just couldn't find an image online in reasonable time or I was going to post it too....Nothing really wrong with your design.:thumb:

Last edited:

wrench 3

Commander
Sorry for the late chime in on this topic but I don't get on the forum much during our boating season. I hope I'm not too late to help you.
Mercury has a lube bottle system for the early drives sold as an accessory kit under part #69622A7. Most of the parts in the kit are also available separately if you wanted to make your own system.
If you search the part number on line you should be able to find information on it.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Sorry for the late chime in on this topic but I don't get on the forum much during our boating season. I hope I'm not too late to help you.
Mercury has a lube bottle system for the early drives sold as an accessory kit under part #69622A7. Most of the parts in the kit are also available separately if you wanted to make your own system.
If you search the part number on line you should be able to find information on it.

Thanks to al. I bought boat with Bravos .

fishrdan

Admiral
As in Merc's transom / gimbal housing for the stern drive or did you drill through the boats hull?

I've seen that style too both in person and online, I just couldn't find an image online in reasonable time or I was going to post it too....Nothing really wrong with your design.:thumb:

Yes, drilled through the transom with a 1/2" hole. Then a 3" (+-?) long brass tube fitting going through the transom, couple of SS washers and brass hose barbs to complete the thru-hull fitting.

I didn't get a good look at your link before, (didn't scroll down far enough) but I have my thru-hull in about the same location as the Merc kit. Though... I like how I went through the hull much better than Merc's kit. Merc kit = 3 holes, mine only 1 hole. Merc's kit is universal, so I guess they had to build it that way for quick and easy installation...

Fun Times

Staff member
It must have been one of your past postings fishrdan that I was trying to recall who had made something like this work in the past.:eagerness: