What are these 2 wires

R055

Chief Petty Officer
Hello, noticed these 2 loose wires on my 2003 4.3 mercruiser. The engine runs fine without them but they probably should be connected. Any ideas?

Attachments

• photo244601.png
    photo244601.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • photo244602.png
    photo244602.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 7

Fun Times

Staff member
While you are missing a little black rubber plug, the Purple and White wire is used for setting your ignition timing. It puts the module into base timing mode to help stabilize the timing marks so you can set timing correctly.
The black wire is for a different design carburetor choke base that uses a spade grounding wire connected to the base...Yours has an eyelet terminal for one of the screws at the choke base.

V6 and V8 Carbureted Models (Thunderbolt V Ignition)
1. Connect timing light (91-99379 or similar) to No. 1 spark plug wire. Connect power supply leads, if applicable, on light to 12 volt battery. Refer to Specifications ? ?Engine Rotation and Firing Order? for cylinder numbering and location.
2. Connect a shop tachometer to engine.
3. Using a jumper wire, connect the ignition system timing lead (PUR/WHT wire) to a good engine ground (-). This locks the ignition module into the ?Base Timing Mode?.
NOTE: Before starting engine make sure the timing tab and marks on damper are clean. Chalk or white paint on timing marks may help visibility.
4. Start engine and run at normal idle speed. Allow engine to reach normal operating temperature.
5. Aim timing light at timing tab, located on the timing gear cover and crankshaft torsional damper.
6. If adjustment is required, adjust timing by loosening distributor clamp and rotating distributor body as required until timing mark on damper or pulley lines up with the mark on tab specified in ?Specifications?. Tighten clamp and recheck location of timing mark.
7. Make sure that the distributor has been tightened. Remove the jumper wire from the timing terminal.
8. Remove jumper wire between the timing lead (PUR/WHT wire) and ground (-).
IMPORTANT: Be sure to disconnect the jumper wire from between the ignition system timing lead and ground (-) before attempting to resume normal operations. If the jumper wire is left in place, the ignition module will operate in the ?Base Timing Mode?. This means that the additional timing advance features would not function.
9. Stop engine and remove timing light

R055

Chief Petty Officer
While you are missing a little black rubber plug, the Purple and White wire is used for setting your ignition timing. It puts the module into base timing mode to help stabilize the timing marks so you can set timing correctly.
The black wire is for a different design carburetor choke base that uses a spade grounding wire connected to the base...Yours has an eyelet terminal for one of the screws at the choke base.

Okay thanks, so I'm safe and those wires being loose are normal right?

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was gonna ask the same question, I think I have the same purple wire just like this (not sure if I have the white stripe) so if im reading this correctly, its correct to leave it unconnected

Fun Times

Staff member
Okay thanks, so I'm safe and those wires being loose are normal right?

I was gonna ask the same question, I think I have the same purple wire just like this (not sure if I have the white stripe) so if im reading this correctly, its correct to leave it unconnected
Yes leave them (especially the purple/white) unconnected...
The black wire is just an extra ground wire for a different style component you currently don't have.

Last edited: