Mercruiser 3.0 Cutting Out under acceleration

Justinweigt

Seaman Apprentice
Hello friends,
I have a 1976 Slickcraft with the Mercruiser 3.0. I have been restoring it for 2 years now and I am all most done. Here is my issue...

Yesterday I just was double checking my shift cable and throttle cable, I made a few adjustments to see if I could tighten up the throttle distance in reverse. I didn't achieve anything so I put the adjustments back or i thought I did. I went to test it out and the motor (running on muffs) starts and runs fine until I give it more that 2000 RPMs. then it almost stalls then it kicks back in.It does it again at 4000 RPM. then when I return to idle the motor stalls.

Why is this happening and what can I do?

So far I have messed with the cables some more and checked the cut out switch.
The fuel pump, plugs, points, cap and gas are new. The carb was semi cleaned twice.

Before I messed with the cables I had no issue.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
...So far I have messed with the cables some more and checked the cut out switch.....

Sounds like your shift interrupt is now engaging when it shouldn't. Have someone watch it while you give it some throttle. It shouldn't be engaging at all. Instead of "messing with the cables" - start from scratch and adjust them like they should be. Then leave them alone. ;)

Justinweigt

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you.
Can you adjust the shift interrupt, When I start from scratch with my cables I get heavy ratcheting in forward and almost no engagement in reverse.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
The shift interrupt is not typically adjusted. The shift cable is. There is a good video in the "stickies" at the top of the page that helps. Look in the DIY section, then the Mercruiser stuff to find the videos.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
At the top of the page - there is a section for "do it yourselfers" - (the "adults only" section is the same thing - The late great Don S thought it would be a fun way of getting people to look at the resources available).

Bondo

Staff member
At the top of the page - there is a section for "do it yourselfers" - (the "adults only" section is the same thing - The late great Don S thought it would be a fun way of getting people to look at the resources available).

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... There's also a link in my signature,..... ;)