Starting/Running issue- Only runs when holding key in start

bobkat1864

Petty Officer 3rd Class
With the key in the "run" position, you need juice at the switch terminal marked "I" or maybe "IGN". That is what keeps the engine running when you release the key from "start" to "run".

eriki

Seaman
So if I has no power in the run position then would the problem lie within the wiring from the ignition to the coil?

Last edited:

bobkat1864

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Probably be the ignition switch, if there is power when cranking, but no power with the switch in "run". Both switch positions share a common supply. But you need to test it to know for sure.

eriki

Seaman
No Title

I've been looking at this diagram to try and help

Attachments

• photo244575.jpeg
    photo244575.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 26

bobkat1864

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Following your drawing there, the power comes to the coil from the I terminal of the ignition switch, thru the lanyard safety kill switch, and right to the coil. Unless I'm missing something, it can really only be the ignition switch, safety switch, or the wiring. Check the I switch terminal for power in the run position first, and report back what ya find.

Last edited:

eriki

Seaman
Probably be the ignition switch, if there is power when cranking, but no power with the switch in "run". Both switch positions share a common supply. But you need to test it to know for sure.

I will test this in the morning. If it does have power what else would be causing this issue besides possibly a short in the wiring or something.

eriki

Seaman
Following your drawing there, the power comes to the coil from the I terminal of the ignition switch, thru the lanyard safety kill switch, and right to the coil. Unless I'm missing something, it can really only be the ignition switch, safety switch, or the wiring. Check the I switch terminal for power in the run position first, and report back what ya find.
Yes that's exactly what I'm thinking. There's really not much to it, so it has to be along the lines of those 3 things

bobkat1864

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Next test would be the safety switch...is power getting thru it? If so then we continue to work back toward the stern, looking for the interruption in the power flow.

Last edited:

eriki

Seaman
so now it runs and started up and is currently idling ok, one other question I have about the electric choke wiring, yesterday I was poking around the back and found a purple wore and a black ground behind the carb that are not connected, I assume they are for the electric choke but I see no place to hook them up?

bobkat1864

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That's great that she is running now...what was causing the problem? As far as your mystery wires go, see if you can post a pic and I'm sure someone on here will know about those.

eriki

Seaman
I honestly have no idea lol. I pushed the connector back on and tried to start it and it turned over so I put muffs on and it started right up. Must have been a loose wire somewhere or something or battery terminals were loose.

It's not letting my upload pictures right now I'll try later

R055

Chief Petty Officer
so now it runs and started up and is currently idling ok, one other question I have about the electric choke wiring, yesterday I was poking around the back and found a purple wore and a black ground behind the carb that are not connected, I assume they are for the electric choke but I see no place to hook them up?

Go in the mercruiser sub forum, I just started a thread about those 2 wires and one of the mods explained fully what they are and that they shouldn't be connected.

Too bad you didn't find the loose/possibly corroded connection, the problem can come back when you least want it to.

Edit: here's the link
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...nes-outdrives/10185755-what-are-these-2-wires

Last edited:

bobkat1864

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Probably be a good idea to begin cleaning your wiring connections...it's good ongoing maintenance for boats, because so many problems end up being bad connections.

eriki

Seaman
I actually think what happened was that the battery terminals came loose when jumping the battery, causing it to not have a good connection :doh: I'm an idiot lol

Last edited:

eriki

Seaman
Go in the mercruiser sub forum, I just started a thread about those 2 wires and one of the mods explained fully what they are and that they shouldn't be connected.

Too bad you didn't find the loose/possibly corroded connection, the problem can come back when you least want it to.

Edit: here's the link
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...nes-outdrives/10185755-what-are-these-2-wires

Yea my boat is the same way, runs fine with out them connected. although mine are at the back of the carb but on the same wiring harness as yours.

bobkat1864

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I actually think what happened was that the battery terminals came loose when jumping the battery, causing it to not have a good connection :doh: I'm an idiot lol

You're not an idiot...you are a boat owner. Hey...ya got her running, and learned more about her...that's a win win. šŸ˜Ž