Where do the plugs go?

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class
Trying to get my boat ready for the lake, but don't know where all the plugs go in my '99 Mercruiser 4.3 liter w/Alpha 1 Gen2. I had the boat winterized back in December, and they put 5 plastic plugs in a bag and hung it on my throttle control. I've found where 2 of them go (one on each side, on the bottom of the manifolds), but don't know where the other 3 go. Anyone have a drawing or pic of where they go?
And once I do find out where they go, is that basically all I need to do? Put the muffs on and crank it up? Thanks for any advice!
Tony

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay, I just realized I'll probably get the same answer as in the other threads regarding these plugs, so I'll just keep looking for them when I get home in the morning...But, my question about that being all I need to do still stands.
So my plan is to find where to put the other 3 plugs, put the muffs on, crank it up, and see what happens. If it won't crank, or any other problems, then I'll take it to a professional...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
usually 2 in the block, 2 in the manifolds, 1 in the large hose from the circ pump to the T stat housing?, power steering cooler?, cool fuel unit? therm housing?

Start it up and look for water leaking

JoLin

Vice Admiral
A '99 is probably set up with 2 in the block, 2 in the manifolds and 1 in the big hose from the circulating pump to the t-stat housing. The block drain holes will be the toughest to find. About halfway along each side of the block, low down under the manifolds. Gotta find 'em by feel- an inspection mirror might help.

I learned to pull a plug, drain the water, and put it back before moving on to the next one.

My .02

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey, thanks for the tips, guys! I located them all and put the plugs in, got out my muffs out...and realized I don't have a water hose! I'm too far out in the country to drive in to town just for a hose, so I'll pick one up on the way home from work in the morning. But progress is being made! :) Thanks again!

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, picked up a hose this morning, hooked everything up...and nothing! Motor won't crank...I get a loud alarm when I turn the ignition key, but the motor won't even turn over (so "starter fluid" won't work - which I've used on other motors before - boat, lawn mower, etc.). Just to make sure it wasn't a weak battery (the volt meter shows roughly 14 volts), I hooked my Envoy's battery to the boat battery via jumper cables - still nothing. Any ideas? Thanks!
Tony

Fun Times

Staff member
Motor won't crank...I get a loud alarm when I turn the ignition key, but the motor won't even turn over (so "starter fluid" won't work

Just so you are aware, Starting fluid isn't considered a good safe way to get these engines to start-up....

Just so it's clearer, when you turn the ignition key to start the engine, will the engine spin/turn at all?

I ask due to sometimes a misconception about ones wording vs another's of engine crank or engine won't turn over is sometimes taken as the engine will not actually start-up and run like normal...But it will spin over, just won't run.

The starting fluid comment is what has me wondering.

Have you tried working the throttle/shift control handle back and forth a few times to ensure it's in neutral gear as there is a neutral safety switch that could prevent the engine from cranking (turning over before starting).

If the engine won't spin using the key, the following link should help get you heading in the right direction, http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...ystem?t=167035

Last edited:

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, guess what? It was just a weak battery! Got her cranked up today...lots of smoke! Let her idle for about 10 minutes, then shut her off. Now I just need to get a day off from work to take her out on the lake!
Thanks again for all the suggestions/advice!
Btw, my boat doesn't have a safety kill switch...can I assume that one of the previous owners did away with it, 'cause I thought all boats had to have one from the factory? I know the '93 Glastron I had a few years ago had one...

Last edited: