Continuous Alarm going off

Nuthammer

Cadet
Hello, everyone.
I purchased a 2002 Monterey Montuna with a 4.3L V6 Mercruiser with the Alpha One outdrive. I took it out a couple of days ago and everything was fine. The only thing that I did today was returned it back to the original exhaust profile and put in some new spark plugs. After I did all of that I started the boat up and the alarm which went off last time I started, stayed on continuously. I went and picked up the SELCO manual for it today, but it told me next to nothing. I am lost right now, the oil level is good, oil pressure reads good at the gauge. Temp readings were good once she warmed up. It says to check the sensors, but the were good yesterday, why the false reading today? I need help, I wasted a beautiful day when I should have been on the water hunting some fish. Please help I am lost. The manual was talking about a CDS? What is that (Code reader) and if so where in the heck do plug it in at?!?
I am sorry is this is a repeat post, I been all over the forum and could not figure anything out! Maybe it has just been a long day!!

Nuthammer

Cadet
All the sensors I checked, check good. However, I will go over the timing tomorrow, I think putting in new spark plugs might of need something.

Bondo

Staff member
It says to check the sensors, but the were good yesterday, why the false reading today? I need help,

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... There should be 3 alarm switches,......

The water switch should be in the t-stat housin', near the temp gauge sender,....

The oil switch should be down low, portside, near the oil pan, just ahead of the block's oil filter boss, or next to the distributor,....
It'll probably be "T"ed to the oil gauge sender,....

The 3rd is the drive oil bottle, in the bottom of the bottle,.....

Any one of the 3, if it goes to Ground, sounds the alarm,....
Unplug all 3, 'n the alarm should stop soundin',...

My guess is, ya mighta knocked 'round some wires when you were workin' on the motor,.....

thumpar

Admiral
Like Bondo stated there are only a few things that cause a constant alarm. You can disconnect each one at a time to figure out which one is setting the alarm off.

Nuthammer

Cadet
No not yet! Will have to get after it again when I get out of work. Thanks Bonda, I will check again.

Nuthammer

Cadet
I would like to thank everyone for the information that was given. It was the gear lube reservoir switch was the bastard. If it wasn't for it raining all weekend, I would be boating! I guess I will just have to get out of work early Friday!

Again, thanks gentlemen for the guidance!

Nuthammer

Cadet
it is the switch that is inside the oil reservoir, the float on the inside was stuck to the bottom causing the alarm to go off continuously. After emptying the reservoir and seeing the float stuck to the bottom and also once I unplugged it, the alarm stopped ---- plugged it back in the alarm went off again.

alldodge

Staff member
The bottles get sludge built up over time. Its a good thing to remove and clean the bottle out with some diesel, or even soap and water every few years. Make sure the float moves freely. Then refill