Mc-1 trim won't trim up

Cbastuan

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys,
Took my boat our for the very first time yesterday, ran fine all day until I got back to the launch.
Started to trim the outdrive up and it moved about one inch then the pump got really loud whirring noise and the outdrive just stopped moving.
So the outdrive its stuck in the same position and if I try to trim it up it just makes the loud whirring noise and doesn't move.
I thought it sounded like low fluid but it was full.
Any other ideas?
And if I can get it fixed is it ok to use the boat without the trim working?
Thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If its the old style pump motor ,the armature shaft may have broken and cannot turn the pump

Cbastuan

Seaman Apprentice
Yes it is the old style pump, is this common for the armature to break? If it is broken am I looking at replacing the whole pump then?
I ran the boat today out on the lake without the trim working, just had the outdrive in the lowest position,
Would this cause any problems or damage?
Seems to work fine without the trim function

Cbastuan

Seaman Apprentice
Poor fuel mileage isn't too big of a concern as I only use the main motor for about 10mins to get out then use my kicker to troll for fishing.
I was able to get the outdrive lower by unhooking the hydraulic hoses running to the cylinders and pushing down on the outdrive, bleeding any oil in the cylinders.
So my other question is for the time being should I have the outdrive in the full down position? Right now I have it so there is still about 2-2.5" of the hydraulic rams piston sticking out. Should I bleed all the oil out of the rams so the cylinders are fully retracted?
The boat is a starcraft holiday 18' aluminum with a mercrusier 165 inline 6 (swapped out the 140 that it came with)
The prop is a 19" pitch.
Thanks for all the replies so far

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
what not remove the pump, remove the motor (2 bolts) and check the armature, I have a spare if needed.

Cbastuan

Seaman Apprentice
I do plan on doing that eventually however I am in the middle of a salmon derby right now and don't want to tear into it right now