tilt motor wont operate

skipbehr

Seaman Apprentice
Tilt motor was working when I stored for winter. Now solenoids up and down click but motor does not operate. I checked and cleaned all motor and pump connections but to no avail? Battery is full charged. This is on a 1987 searay seville

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
take a jumper from the + battery and touch the blue (up) and then green(down) motor wires.pump should run.If it does run then
Verify 12v at the main buss bar between the solenoids, If 12v present internal solenoid contacts are bad

Last edited:

skipbehr

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the quick response I will check this out and post results.

skipbehr

Seaman Apprentice
tilt and trim motor

I have a 1987 searay seville with a 3.0 liter engine and need a new tilt motor . I cant find the part number to purchase one It is a square oildyne motor with 3 wires.It just says sae J1171 marine

skipbehr

Seaman Apprentice
OK I ran a jumper from battery to green wire terminal and nothing and ran jumper from battery to blue wire terminal nothing . I have 12 volts at the power terminal of the pump motor but no response from the motor solenoids do click in hard up and down. Could this be a bad motor ?

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
So J1171 is a spec.
The motor itself looks like pn 17649a1 or 87828. See if that matches what you have. I think it is used from 1985 on up.

edcarman

Cadet
I have a similar issue except that mine will move both up and down but with very limited travel. Note dash gauge incorrectly indicates unit is in full up position.

Bondo

Staff member
OK I ran a jumper from battery to green wire terminal and nothing and ran jumper from battery to blue wire terminal nothing . I have 12 volts at the power terminal of the pump motor but no response from the motor solenoids do click in hard up and down. Could this be a bad motor ?

Ayuh,..... So long as the motor has a good solid ground, it should run when ya power the blue or green wire,....

Sounds like a dead motor,.....

chadnort

Cadet
Skipbehr, just ran into same problem with my 1985 Seville 140. What ultimately did you do to fix the trim?