Adjusted shift cable, prop still ratchets

Slice of Life

Petty Officer 3rd Class
After trying to adjust my shift cable on the alpha one gen II, standard rotation, due to the end of last season having it occasionally stuck in gear when either going into reverse or forward, the prop still ratchets even after adjusting lower nut that was all the way at the bottom at first on the forward part of the lower shift cable. :mad-new: I went by the directions exactly, and watched achris's and SEI's youtube videos on the adjustment. With the nut either all the way down, or all the way at the bottom or a bit in the middle, it still will not go completely into gear.

When the gear is put into reverse, the prop will lock clockwise and move counterclockwise (albeit with a bit of resistance and a loud "clang" when moving) like it's supposed to. But when put into forward, the prop will ratchet either way still. :mad: Suggestions? Thanks.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
foward is a pushing action so does the shoe on the lower unit get into a straight line in fwd

Slice of Life

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Will take the drive off tomorrow and look. It was shifting in gear when I ran it on muffs just before I tried to make the cable adjustment, so I may just try to play with the cable adjustment more to see if I can get it in gear again. Should have left it alone probably, but it was a bit scary at the end of last season though when it would stay in gear when I would pull back. I had to put it in reverse a bit on the handle to get it out of forward it was so stuck once.

Slice of Life

Petty Officer 3rd Class
But can the interrupter come out of adjustment on it's own without the adjustment being changed? I've changed nothing but the upper and lower shift cables.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
not normally but if a wire happens to be broken or loose the switch wont activate. Easy to check with the motor running, just push the lever down and the motor should stumble or stall.Testing and adjustments are in the link.

Last edited:

Slice of Life

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok, so after making small adjustments in the lower shift cable, I discovered that it would go into gear and the prop would lock CW or CCW accordingly when into gear, however would only once and then ratchet loose again. I look at the lower shift cable and find there's not much resistance on the end guide from moving in and out (the black tube that goes over the metal threaded tube). I can move it several inches. I know in the manual it's only supposed to have 3/16" of play, also shown in achris's shift cable adjustment video. It was tight with very little movement at first but with just the slightest more force it moved a lot more. Going to see if the anchor screws at the end can be tightened more to avoid the black plastic end guide from moving any more than allowed.

Would have done more but it started raining again, will go back later. Also saw that the ground wire on the Thunderbolt IV ignition module that comes from the shift interrupt plate (tested continuity to confirm it was the same black wire) was severely corroded and almost broken off completely. I'm hoping that was the cause to the interrupt problem I had on the lake.

Should have left the shift cable alone, it may have not even needed adjustment it seems now was not even the cause of the problem of staying in gear when shifting as I may had assumed incorrectly. IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Going to see if the anchor screws at the end can be tightened more to avoid the black plastic end guide from moving any more than allowed.

If the screws were loose the plastic end would just pull off.

I look at the lower shift cable and find there's not much resistance on the end guide from moving in and out (the black tube that goes over the metal threaded tube).

Correct should be no resistance moving the black sleeve as long as the drive is shifting.

Slice of Life

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When the prop is in gear and locks CCW when in forward, then moves freely in the other direction, should it lock again on it's own in the CCW direction automatically? I can get it to lock once but then after moving freely CW it won't go back into gear.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
shifting is mechanical. when your in fwd and the prop is locked CCW When you turn the prop CW the shift dogs are pushed apart into a false neutral,
When in rev prop locked CW and you turn the prop CCW the same thing happens. The shifting is not spring loaded.
see page 3C-27 look at how their cut http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6C3R3.PDF

Last edited:

Slice of Life

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Finally got the cable adjustment fine tuned correctly, I think. Prop will lock CCW when in forward, and lock CW in reverse all day every day. Reverse, however seems different as it ratchets with a bit of force required and is significantly louder. Do this sound normal?

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Your are in reverse and it is perfectly normal to ratchet in that direction

Slice of Life

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok, was just wondering if the extra force required to move it compared to the force required to move it in forward was normal. Problem solved, thank you sir.