Lower shift cable routing - Alpha One Gen 2 - V8

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
As part of a bellows job, I'm replacing my lower shift cable. Unfortunately, I was following the manual and it makes no reference to leaving behind the shift cable core or some other sort of line to serve as a fishing line to pull thru the new shift cable. So, I've been struggling with getting the shift cable through the transom and into the engine compartment.

After lots of contortions, I've got the cable thru the transom and under the starboard Y-pipe. I'm not sure the routing is correct, though... the manual (see below)shows the shift cable going UNDER the starboard motor mount, but in my case, it's going up and over the mount. In fact, I can't see how it would fit below the mount... the engine/coupler would be in the way.

I'm trying to figure out if my routing is OK, but I can't find pictures, etc. online that clearly show the shift cable routing with the engine installed. As is, the cable doesn't seem to be making any sharp bends, but I'm concerned that it comes out of the transom plate and bends up, instead of of coming straight thru as the manual diagram seems to show.

Anyone have a good, clear pic of the cable routing for a Gen 2 on V8?

Thanks!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
No Title

Forgot to link the diagram... here it is.

Attachments

• photo244203.jpg
    photo244203.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 119

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
ypipe-1_zpsgvgtg5jn.jpg

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Thanks... trying to figure out how to get by the starter...seems like it's right where that middle red arrow is.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I find that a cloths hanger bent with a loop and another person outside the boat pushing the cable gently inward works
The downside is getting your head and body back there to see it entering and hooking it and directing it

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
That's how we got it where it is. I'm trying to see the path that runs under the rear engine mount and that will clear the starter. Even if I find it, I'm not sure I can reach in there to grab the cable housing and route it correctly.

I don't understand why the manual doesn't discuss leaving behind a trailer wire or the shift cable core. If I had only watched the zillion Youtube videos that recommend leaving a fishing wire behind BEFORE I did this, instead of actually following the manual, I'd be done by now.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Got it! What a miserable job. Next time I'll know better.

Thanks, Bt Doctur. I appreciate your help!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Now for next time get a old control cable and remove the solid core to use as a guide

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
And, I don't mind admitting... I am REALLY sore today. Between the numerous nicks, scratches, and cuts on my hands and arms, I cut my head in two places on band clamps (while I was trying to grab the shift cable), my arms and shoulders are aching and I think I sprained my left thumb -- either from trying to reach around behind the coupler to route the shift cable or from trying to feed the end of the shift cable thru the bellows.

And it probably only took me about 20 times longer to do the job than someone who knows what they're doing...

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
A quick update: I finished the bellows, shift cable and trim limit switch and trim sender replacement. Had the boat out on the water for a trial this weekend and everything worked perfectly! Shifting was nice and smooth, no water leaking in anywhere, and the trim worked perfectly.

Thanks to everyone who helped on this thread and my "struggling with bellows job" thread. I'm not sure I would have been able to do this without your guidance. You guys are the best!

glarssen

Recruit
Question. I currently installing the lower shift cable on Alpha one Gen 2, as pictured in the diagram. The issue I am having is using the special socket to tighten the core at the bell housing. When I try to thread the cable I am getting resistance which has cause my first attempt to kink the cable . I have purchased a brand new cable and same thing is happening. I have stopped so I dont damage another cable. It feels like something is preventing the cable from turning. Do I have to remove the gimbal housing , thread the cable, then rout it through the transom? Am I doing something wrong? Thank you in advance for any pointers.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Once your under the rear mount lay the cable inside the boat as straight as possible or have someone turn it with you while you tighten it Your clockwise, there counterclockwise

glarssen

Recruit
Thank you for reply, there is very little space to even rout the cable to the side, not really enough space to straighten it out. Do I try to tighten the cable the cable before routing or rout then tighten.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
This is an old thread, 4 years old. Please don't add to threads that are more than 90 days, unless you are the OP.

Start your own thread.

Chris.
iboats mod team.

Status
Not open for further replies.