1985 mercruiser 140 distributor parts???

countryboy26047

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey everyone, gotta question for any mercruiser guru's out there.. So I have a 1985 mercruiser 140 in my runabout. First day out with it a couple weeks ago, she ran great.....until she didn't... Long story short (sorta) I ended up finding that one of the screws that holds down the timing weight plate came out, jammed up in the distributor and caused it to thrash my distributor drive gear.. Looking into the motor, the cam gear appears fine and is still turning when cranking the motor so I'm pretty sure I'm good there....

My question is, where the he!! can I find a replacement drive gear for this thing?? After doing a lot of searching, I was able to find Mercruiser part #43-33664 however it was discontinued.. I know that a lot of parts are marine specific especially with the electronics, but is there possibly a Gmail distributor out there that would use the same drive gear?? Thanks for any help

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I believe I still have a old dist for that motor, will check tomorrow and pm you

Alumarine

Captain
If BT can't help you then google "chevy 250 distributor gear"
It might be the same.
I think the brass are inferior.

For that matter maybe a wrecker might have one if you need it quick?

countryboy26047

Petty Officer 1st Class
If BT can't help you then google "chevy 250 distributor gear"
It might be the same.
I think the brass are inferior.

For that matter maybe a wrecker might have one if you need it quick?

Thanks buddy, I'll look into that now... I've got a bunch of emails and phone calls out there now waiting for answers but still no luck. I did find an entire dist. assembly used for sale out of an '06 GM 3.0 that I'm trying to get some dimensions on the gear... in the pics, everything but the cap looks identical to my dist. and I'm hoping if that will work I'll just get the whole assembly and rob it of the gear.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Sent him pics but hasent responded to the pm
DSCN3727_zpscg1dm23y.jpg

DSCN3726_zps1smqhat0.jpg

Last edited:

countryboy26047

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sent him pics but hasent responded to the pm
DSCN3727_zpscg1dm23y.jpg

DSCN3726_zps1smqhat0.jpg

Sorry about that, had a ridiculous day at work yesterday and so far today! Anywho, I replied to your PM.

On a side note, I did find a place that has a gear NOS but haven't ordered it yet... So next question... Since two of the teeth broke completely off the gear, obviously their down in my oil pan. I just spent about an hour talking to a buddy of mine who has been a marine mechanic for years and is familiar with my boat. I was going to attempt to raise engine enough to get the oil pan off, or pull the engine if that didn't work to get the pieces out... His advice was drain the oil and screen it, if the pieces don't come out, use kerosene to flush the pan (which I've done on other motors for various reasons) and if they STILL didn't come out, not to worry because the pieces are too big to get into the oil pump... Now, I do have faith in what he say's and his work, but being the worrier I am, and from previous experience working on automotive engines, I'm still worried about just leaving them in there if they don't come out.......

Last edited:

Alumarine

Captain
Doesn't look like your old gear was brass so why not use a magnet on an extendible shaft to get the piece out through the drain plug hole.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Doesn't look like your old gear was brass so why not use a magnet on an extendible shaft to get the piece out through the drain plug hole.
Or take a strong magnet and slide it around the pan, toward the drainhole to get it close, then pick it with the extended magnet. Heck, even transmissions have magnets inside the pan, why not leave one attached to the exterior to hold debris?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
With 2 teeth missing I would try to examine the teeth on the cam.Otherwise you`ll just rip up the replacement gear

countryboy26047

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, the old gear was cast.. that is actually one of the idea's I was kicking around if the flush didn't work...

countryboy26047

Petty Officer 1st Class
With 2 teeth missing I would try to examine the teeth on the cam.Otherwise you`ll just rip up the replacement gear

I spent about an hour looking into and putting my pinky finger into the distributor hole and very slowly turned the engine over by hand, stopping to inspect the cam gear every time it would turn a tiny bit. It looks and feels like it's ok, so hopefully it is...