Lateral engine alignment off to starboard side.

alldodge

Staff member
Glad your in the water, but wow that was a lot of work to just get the drive on. Did you tell them it was ok to do all that?

The shift foot and shoe, both face forward toward the bow
IMG_1516.jpg

Howard490

Cadet
Hmm ya I thought I put it back facing forward but im not positive. I did ask them to do a thorough check and service on the boat. We are having a family reunion 600 miles from here on the 2nd and working 50+ hrs a week doesnt leave me a lot of time to fuss with the boat. The only thing i didnt like was the fact they desrtroyed my new gimbal bearing and refused to use my sierra outdrive gasket i left them because they claim they are prone to leaks. Then charged me to replace both of course. Im curious, he also insisted that the fuel be drained and replaced because it was several years old. He said he couldnt tune it and would not run the engine on old fuel. Is this common with marine engines? He also recommend that i run sea foam with every tank of gas due to the increasing ethynol ratios in gas.

alldodge

Staff member
YIts my understanding that you didn't have any issues with it running, only with replacing the bearing and installing the drive. If the gas had sat for a long time (year or so) then yes you had some old gas and probably needed changed out.

Now if the gas was just from last season then, the guy drained your tank and put it in his boat or car, then put new gas in it.

I don't have a warm fuzzy with a guy that want's you to use seafoam, IMO that's snake oil. There are a few here which will not agree, this is just my opinion.

I would just chalk it up to now its fixed (we hope) and maybe find another mechanic for if there is a next time.

Howard490

Cadet
Yes the engine seemed to be running fine. But ive never even had this boat in the water. I got it running, idle and throttle response seemed smooth and even. The gas was prolly 2 to 3 years old, if the previous owner was being honest (probably older) but seemed to run fine oddly enough. I thought the sea foam seemed odd too. He also wanted to replace my ignition sensor. But when i questioned it he said mine is working fine but is an older type that had been recalled. Any truth to that? I told him not to change it. Figure i could do it my self later. Also I have no intentions of going back to him. Had to drive almost an hour to get my boat to him cause all the shops in my area are 3 weeks behind. He rushed and did it in 2 days.but yes important thing its done seems to be working well. Last of the upholstery will be done tuesday, then ill have a pretty boat i can be proud of. :)

alldodge

Staff member
Any truth to that?
I doubt it, he just had you on the hook and turned into a dairy farmer, if you know what I mean. My thought is if he was a great mechanic he also would be behind. He wasn't and guessing from that, everyone else was staying clear

If fuel had no ethanol in it then it may have still been good. Stabil may also have kept it ok, but this is just speculation.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Wasn't there an updated Pertronix ignition sensor that was supposed to be a lot better? Just wondering where the sensor change thing came from.